camping pillow

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BigFooD

camping pillow

Post by BigFooD »

hi there! hope you're doing well!
I want you to recommend me a good pillow for camping. The matter is that I have some kind of troubles with the upper spine, so it's a signficant thing for me, because my neck is very "fragile". Thanks in advance!
Last edited by BigFooD on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: camping pillow

Post by mkbgdns »

assume you mean backpacking

Q: what pillow do you bring camping if you have a 3,000 lb internal combustion Sherpa?

A: any damn pillow you please.

but seriously, I use a stuff sack, small inflatable pillow (for firmness) and an article of clothing over it for softness/compressability. infinitely adjustable, you can experiment at home.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

I carry a North Face Nuptse down jacket with me as part of my hiking gear. Stuffed into a 20 liter stuff sack, it makes a very comfortable pillow.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Best "Pillow" I've used is an Exped UL pillow combined with a down jacket in a stuff sack (on top of Exped). It's really important to have the correct height IMHO.
BigFooD

Post by BigFooD »

mkbgdns wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:23 am assume you mean backpacking

Q: what pillow do you bring camping if you have a 3,000 lb internal combustion Sherpa?

A: any damn pillow you please.

but seriously, I use a stuff sack, small inflatable pillow (for firmness) and an article of clothing over it for softness/compressability. infinitely adjustable, you can experiment at home.
Yeap, I mean backpacking, lol. A good tip to try, but I should refrain. As I said before, I have some kind of troubles with my spine and not every orthopedic pillow can fit me. I like camping, but my fragile spine doesn't. This life has a sense of humor, lol. Anyway, thanks for your advice, maybe it'll fit someone another. Still waiting for recommendation.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

I use the Big SkyDream Sleeper. Comfy and < 2 ounces.

http://bigskyproducts.com/Big-Sky-Drea ... illow.aspx
Matthew
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthew »

We bought a Sierra Designs Animus Pillow and a Trekology UL Pillow, with the view to comparing them for backpacking. We liked both. For side sleeping, to get a little height I layer my fleece on top. They can go in the hood of a sleeping bag too.
But the kicker was that our normal home pillows would get dirty when car camping...so now we use the inflatables for car camping too.
1 year, ~30 nights so far.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wow. You actually carry something extra to use as a pillow. I just wrap my rain jacket around my boots for a place to lay my head.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I usually put my pack under my head for a pillow, but my spine is remarkably robust. My wife, who is a sleep diva, likes the Sea to Summit pillow.

Course, I've just been day hiking to places I want to go these days, so the cushy car camping setup or hotel is mostly what I sleep on. If you expand your definition of day hike to be literally all day, you can go pretty much anywhere in the Sierras.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BigFooD

Post by BigFooD »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:39 am I usually put my pack under my head for a pillow, but my spine is remarkably robust. My wife, who is a sleep diva, likes the Sea to Summit pillow.

Course, I've just been day hiking to places I want to go these days, so the cushy car camping setup or hotel is mostly what I sleep on. If you expand your definition of day hike to be literally all day, you can go pretty much anywhere in the Sierras.
Sea to Summit pillow looks comfortable, it resembles on my home pillow. I'll give it a chance most likely, thanks. As for people, who put something bit softer than stone under the head and sleep normally, I really envy you :D
Last edited by copeg on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed