Desolation Wilderness weather in early October?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Desolation Wilderness weather in early October?

Post by windknot »

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the weather will be like in Desolation in the next couple of weeks? I'm going to be spending a couple nights up there in early October and I heard it snowed recently, any information or clarification would be much appreciated. :cool:

Matt
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Last week I could see the white in the mountains from down in Carson City. Over 15 years ago, the same thing happened. I had a bp trip into Desolation planned about the middle of Sept. and it snow on a Thursday. I headed in on Friday after work, Saturday morning was cold, upper 20's I would say, warmer each night after that. The only snow I saw was a little on north facing slopes by then. Still early for a big dump.

Over 20 some years ago, we did get about 6" above 5000' I would say in early Oct. where I live in Plumas Co. I knew a guy who had a small outdoor goods store and he closed one afternoon and I took him skiing, while I jogged along side him down a FS road. He caught flack from his friends because he put a sign in his door that said he was closed to go skiing. Unheard of that time of year. Even last year when I was in Yosemite in mid Oct. I had some snow pellets, but with the heavy condensation in my Squall, I bailed as my gear was wet by then after being out for 3 nights. It warmed up again after that though.

I was wanting to do something next week since I am on vacation but it looks like I will be taking care of stuff around my place and maybe go on a overnight trip in Lassen at least. I'm trying to cut down the mileage I put on my vehicles.
Piece of cake.