2 day trip near bishop with dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sstanley
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

2 day trip near bishop with dogs

Post by sstanley »

This will be our first time to the sierras and we are going from Fr-Sun and would like to go somewhere beautiful near Bishop. We will be bringing our two dogs with us so we know we cant go into the NP.

We would like to stay put in one area and go on day hikes from there or maybe find some bouldering in the area.

Do we need to bring bear canisters? I'm a bit anxious about bears because of my dogs, I'm not sure how they would react to a bear because they are herding dogs and sometimes herd sheep.

Any suggestions on where to go would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

I don't know about bears in the Bishop basin these days (you're best off calling Bishop ranger station), but a great route would be to start at Sabrina and go to Blue Lake; if you're out of gas there, Blue is plenty pretty. Otherwise, you can keep going to Midnight, Moonlight, Hungry Packer, etc. They're all mighty nice, with plenty of places for dayhikes (with dogs!). Other folks will chime in with Treasure Lakes (South Lake trail) and Chocolate/Ruwau are not bad (branching off the Bishop pass trail), but with fewer places to reach easily on day hikes.
cgundersen