Trailhead limits in YNP

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trailhead limits in YNP

Post by fpb56 »

I understand the thought process behind trailhead limits. It surprises me at how low some are. I’m trying to go into Happy Isles Illiloutte creek area. Why do they only allow 3 reservations and 2 walk ups? The JMT allows more and it’s heavily trafficked. Any thoughts?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trailhead limits in YNP

Post by wildhiker »

Wow, that is a small quota! You can also get to the Illilouette Creek area from Glacier Point (total 25 spots/day) or Mono Meadows on the Glacier Point road (total 20 spots/day). Perhaps the quota from Happy Isles is so low because the trailheads on the Glacier Point highway are actually easier hikes and Happy Isles is already the busiest trailhead in the park, with loads of backpackers heading up to Little Yosemite Valley and beyond and hundreds of day hikers every day. Also, they may not believe you when you say you want to hike from Happy Isles up to Illilouette Creek. They may think that plenty of people would "cheat" and use that trailhead quota to actually head up the JMT.
-Phil
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Some trails have been recently abused and heavily trafficked. Sometimes a judgement is made to make the next year's quota abnormally small, in order to let those trails reconstitute.
fpb56
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fpb56 »

Thanks for the input, make sense. Last thing I want is to be on the JMT with the crowd. Hopefully I’ll get the permit👍🏻