Prepping

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Prepping

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I was specifically told by a ranger at the White Mtn office in Bishop that a Wilderness permit covers using a camp stove on a backpacking trip. I would imagine that the campfire permit is required for using a camp stove on a backpacking trip where Wilderness permits are not required, or for car camping.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I keep hoping this thread is about Doomsday Preppers.

I'd like to plan a peakbagging backpacking trip this year, but all my friends either prefer day hikes or don't really like climbing to the top of things.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

freestone wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:21 am Nothing is mentioned in the Terms and Conditions of a Wilderness Permit requiring a campfire permit or that their permit is also a campfire permit, only the fire restrictions are discussed.

Inyo NF requires a campfire permit within their forest so if you are visiting the John Muir Wilderness within the Inyo NF then I would think both permits are needed. In reality however, I have never been advised to have one when pulling a Wilderness Permit at the Lone Pine Visitors Center and I think I've even been told by the desk Ranger that the Wilderness Permit covers that even though I don't see that in the fine print specifically.
This seems to be the correct answer. The "Campfire Permit" specifically says for federal public lands managed by the BLM or USFS and that "National and State Parks require special campfire permits." I assume this would be the wilderness permit. Since I can't think of a time when I didn't hike outside a park while backpacking, it seems that I would need both the Wilderness Permit and Campfire Permit for my trips. I don't doubt that my experience with the ranger was out of the norm, as it only happened that one time. I was also asked if I planned to do any fishing. I said yes, and she went over the fishing regulations and asked if I had my fishing license. Somebody new who was actually concerned with making sure I was following all the regulations? She was certainly young, and I didn't mind. She was just making sure that I was following the rules.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba and I did a short hike along the South shore of Loon Lake (Eldorado NF.) I called the ranger station and asked what permits I needed.
First question was if I was going into the wilderness area. Answer: no, but if you are going to have a fire or use a stove outside the wilderness area, you need a fire permit for the area you are entering.
She directed me to the site and got my permit.
c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:32 am I keep hoping this thread is about Doomsday Preppers.

I'd like to plan a peakbagging backpacking trip this year, but all my friends either prefer day hikes or don't really like climbing to the top of things.
Most of us are already prepped. As for your friends not wanting to do what you want to, I feel your pain. The answer is new friends.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Are many of you scoping out specific trips yet ? I have a “no backpacking” blackout for all of mid- to late-August (due to preparations for my daughter’s wedding).
Otherwise, I’m planning to take my oldest granddaughter on her first backpack trip - 2 nights in Little Lakes Valley, if I can score a permit for early August. Also planning a solo trip mid-July to Red Mountain Basin; might end up being too early in the season (esp. for a side-trip over the pass to Martha Lake), but I need an early-season plan in place for self-motivation.
Maybe do another trip late July (Sonora Pass area, or Desolation Wilderness ?) if time permits.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, my dog and I are going hunting on Jan 19th. Got a draw at LDC. #13, my lucky number.
I might take him back to Loon Lk for a pre run. If I could predict ice out, I'd be in humphreys basin early, but it seems to be setting up for a Sept trip.
I have my campfire permit.

Happy wedding planning and have fun with the granddaughter.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow, you folks prepare early! In years past, I've always waited until things are about to thaw up there (say early May), then gotten my fishing license and campfire permit. Now that I do saltwater fishing (from 2017 onward), I get the fishing license right away. This year I think it was in fact Jan. 2 when I acquired my license and as of Jan. 7 I had an electric day of fishing from the rocks on the southern Sonoma Coast and followed that with another on Jan. 18 (both associated with some even more exciting (for me, at least) geologic research). But I probably should get a campfire permit early, too, while I'm at it--might need it for geologic recon trips before the High Sierra season starts.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

This time of year is indeed the time to prep for the backpacking season. I have ordered and received my fishing license.
I also think about trips in the Sierra ( and the winds)..and the different options circle in my brain during this time and a "plan of record" surfaces.
It is usually overoptimistic. The activity I do is order topo maps. Just ordered now. Some view topo maps as old fashioned, but I still like to have a hard copy in front of me. And there are always a few that I dont have. It is very satisfying to order them, stare at them for a few minutes before putting them away, and then know that they are there for eventual usage... life's small pleasures..