Thunder Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thunder Pass

Post by thegib »

I'm having trouble sizing down the photos (but thanks for the help Lumbergh21). This is the loose talus fan. It's sketchy enough at the top that I wasn't taking photos... Still, only shitty c3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I did Thunder Pass over 30 years ago. Don't remember a serious pucker factor. But maybe I was too dumb to realize it. I do remember the tedious talus after dropping down over Longly Pass (which wasn't bad due to little snow). It was slow going as I traveled just from South Guard Lake to the Lake just to the s. of Thunder Pass that day.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks for the pics. Pics aren't always the most honest representation of what it looks like standing there, but it sure looks like miserable Class 2 but not OMG , I might die Class 3.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Only at the top, where, in final frustration from more sliding backwards you move on to the almost equally shattered, loose "base" rock, is it risky. IMO
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So those who have done the pass, would you prefer to go UP the pass or DOWN?
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:09 am So those who have done the pass, would you prefer to go UP the pass or DOWN?
I would think going up from the south and down north would be easiest and safest if you don't mind skiing down loose talus.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Would the north side of Thunder Pass be similar to the south side of Pants Pass, Snow Tongue Pass or Harrison Pass? Or worse? I detoured the north side "direct" on Pants Pass so have no experience for that. From the photos (and Google Earth) it looks like the very top of Thunder Pass/Col would involve steep scrambling.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Progress over the last couple of hundred feet reminded me of Harrison Pass because the footing was so poor and slippery. Photos of the two don't look anything alike, though. The route I took over Pants Pass was clearly Class 3, the steep chute south of the usual route, and it was not really comparable to Thunder Pass.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Thought it was slightly uglier than Pants Pass, but similar. Probably only think that cuz I did it more recently tho.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Could be wrong, but I thought I saw that Thunder Pass/Col is NOT in our Cross Country Passes database. Maybe if that is the case, one of you who have actually done it and have photos should write it up and the comments here should be placed there?