Thunder Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Thunder Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Anyone been over Thunder Pass, the one that goes from the lakes above Reflection Lake directly into the upper valley of Casper Lake? It is supposed to be Class 2 but looks harder on Google Earth.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thunder Pass

Post by thegib »

I went over Thunder this year. I saw it listed as class 2, class 2 axe required, and class 3. I agree with all 3 ratings. It appeared to me that there was a diagonal path through the center of the headwall that might go c2. That, however, required crossing a steep enough snow field. I didn't bring gear so I went up the first chute to the right, which was a loose mess that got steep at the top. Wouldn't take my partner over it, but I'd do it again. I could probably send you some pics.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:07 pm It is supposed to be Class 2 but looks harder on Google Earth.
WD,

Andy D put a video on youtube of his Great Western Divide trip. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIv5enxPdM4

Fast forward to about 16:30 to see his approach to Thunder Pass from the south. He decided to not go down the north side; the video shows some of the steepness on the north.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I've got some pix but don't know how to load em.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

thegib wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:44 pm I've got some pix but don't know how to load em.
If you use the button that says "full editor and preview" you can attach photos by clicking and dragging them into the "Topic review" pane or you can use the "add files" button on the attachments tab under the Topic review pane.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I remember lots of small, loose talus on the north side.
My trip report doesn't say much about the pass, but it has a view from the north at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/ThunderCol/index.html
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So are the lakes below the pass on the north side worth a side-trip to see? I just thought that once you get up to these lakes it is a short distance over Thunder Pass/Col to do a little loop through upper Kern. I have been on the south side when I climbed Thunder Peak so am familiar with what that is like. Perhaps a better plan would be to just day-hike to the lakes and then drop to Reflection Lake.

Thanks for the information. I am not fond of really loose stuff so perhaps this one is not for me.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Another view from the north.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

The lakes leading to Thunder pass are rockbound and don't offer much - but austere solitude. The large-ish lake before Longely pass is quite beautiful, with excellent camping. I followed the string of lakes towards T pass but wish I hadn't, there's some large talus in the way. There's a more direct route between the lake I refer to and T pass to the south, over a rounded ridge. Next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

The lakes leading to Thunder pass are rockbound and don't offer much - but austere solitude. The large-ish lake before Longely pass is quite beautiful, with excellent camping. I followed the string of lakes towards T pass but wish I hadn't, there's some large talus in the way. There's a more direct route between the lake I refer to and T pass to the south, over a rounded ridge. Next time. Pic shows the talus fan on the right I went up, as the snow access was easiest there. Right in the middle, from right to left and sun to shade, I think there's a c2 path.