David's summer backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

David's summer backpacking

Post by SSSdave »

This morning of Thanksgiving eve, finally completed processing all of my 4 summer backpacking trip images, writing the html for 5 additional pages on my 2019 Trip Chronicles website page, uploading dozens of files to my web site, and then checking all the images and links were ok.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2019_Trip_C ... les-0.html

Just in time too, as can put all that behind me and get into the new snow ski season given the big dump of snow up there now plus what is still lined up out in the Pacific. Even snow on mountains up in the Hamilton Range this morning. My June 6 day backpacking trip along the South Fork of the San Joaquin River was a great warm up, quite interesting, and much fun, but only produced a couple strong images. The second trip 6 days in late July up in the Glen Alpine Creek drainage was productive, especially shots of Sierra juniper trees that I have an abundance of in my body of work. My last trip in September was a fishing oriented trip with bro J to Duck Lake. Cool, breezy, cloudy, stormy weather offered minimal photography, however we had a lot of fun.

It was the epic 9 day trip over Shepherd Pass into the Upper Kern River Basin that I'll remember the summer of 2019 for. I'd made elaborate detailed plans for that area more than a decade ago but never pulled the trigger primarily due to the strenuous effort to get over the pass. Photography was as productive as I'd hoped though I left a lot of strong images up there, others will have to discover now haha. It is such a vast zone as beyond trails, lakes with trout, and climber use routes, has seen little visitation.
Last edited by SSSdave on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: David's summer backpacking

Post by kpeter »

Stunning images, as we've come to expect from you, Dave. But what I especially like about your photography is not just the individually attractive images, but also the way they capture the essence of the places you go. In the few places on your Shepherd Pass trip where I have been, I found some of your images deeply evocative of my own memories.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: David's summer backpacking

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for your take on one of my favorite areas. The Kaweah Peaks seemed to sneak into quite a few of your photos. Milestone Mountain sure looks like an impossible climb from one of your viewpoints. Thanks for posting.