2019 Season Review

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2019 Season Review

Post by davidsheridan »

Tie - thanks for sharing. Amazing peak list in 19! Phenomenal coverages of East side trailheads and classic peaks. Great pics too
rs44
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rs44 »

@tie Wow! Incredible peak list and beautiful photos :clapper :clapper :clapper
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

Great photos Tie.

I took my best shot and hiked the Alta Via 2 in the Dolomites in June. I went with a French-Canadian friend and we were literally the first on the trail, where we encountered all sorts of late snow, dangerous conditions and interruptions. I am fortunate to have the time and resources to do a trip like this, and will post a report in December, but I have to say that I enjoy my time in the Sierra a lot more. I even actually feel a bit robbed of "Sierra time", because my work picked up and for the rest of the summer I was only able to go off on a few peakbagging trips, and even fell short of making it up Ritter. Next year...
IMG_1729.JPG
Day 8, Alta Via 2, Passo della Farangole, 2814 m. Normally one of the two most challenging passes on the AV2, the ferrata cables are covered by snow and it is a vertical snow ascent with rocks below. The local alpinist said “non ne vale la pena” (it’s not worth it). I agreed and bailed but Éric went anyway with no axe and just microspikes. Several plaques around honoring the dead. So I descended and added an extra 4-hour detour around the mountain that day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CAMERONM on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broot
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Broot »

Did a 34 day trip from Mammoth to Mineral King. Should get something written up this winter and when I do I'll post it up on here. Also day hiked Mt Tom, did a one nighter in desolation, day hiked Pyramid, Tallac, and few overnighters in the Grouse ridge area.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

despite being the dad of a 3 year old, my wife somehow made it possible for me to spend almost 3 weeks in the sierra this summer. reports someday.

july: emigrant (big/hyatt lake)
august: tamarack lake/lonely lake/tablelands (aka the maia special)
september: SHR from roads end to lake basin, then cartridge pass, JMT, 60 lakes, and out via bubbs.
october: emigrant (iceland/emigrant lake)

shr60faves_-_85 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

frozenintime wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm despite being the dad of a 3 year old, my wife somehow made it possible for me to spend almost 3 weeks in the sierra this summer. reports someday.
Amazing photo. Thanks for posting. Please share the location.
Last edited by sekihiker on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

2019 was a complete blowout for me. I was diagnosed with Retroperitoneal fibroses (an auto immune disease that forms a mass around the abdominal aorta and entraps the utterers. This made a renal stint necessary to relieve the pressure on my kidney. While this will save the kidney, it has made any kind of exercise result in extreme pain. Add the effects of the prednisone and cellcept to reduce the mass, and the fact that a 3 mile day hike resulted in me passing blood, and I knew my hiking was done for the year.

So now for the better news...as of my last scan the mass had reduced and I am pretty confident that the scan I will have next Tuesday will show that I can have the stint removed. So, I am back to planning to hike the JMT. I'm not sure if I'll be able to regain enough strength and stamina to do it (I've lost 30+ lbs. and a lot of muscle mass) but that will be my goal.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Get well soon.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

rlown wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:32 pmGet well soon.
Thanks
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Get well soon.
:nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org