Advice on High Route: North Glacier Pass to Twin Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Ouch, how did you dislocate your shoulder?
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

It's all Roper's fault!

Sort of seriously, his directions to reach Lake 10,200 were so horrible, I didn't realize I was only 1/10 mile away when I figured I was off-route and turned around, since I was already well higher than 10,200. (Would it have killed Roper to mention that the lake is actually 250 feet below the ridge, and that you can't even see it until you're already past it??). So I went down into a lower valley, pissed off, tired and not being very careful. I was also trying out a new pair of boots (I know, not the smartest idea to test them out on an 8 day trip), which turned out to have awful traction for sideways motion. To cut to the chase, I slipped on a really easy rock, and landed hard on my shoulder. When I got up I couldn't feel my left arm! I was pretty freaked out, but eventually after swinging my left arm around the shoulder popped back into place. Luckily, I could still exert downward pressure on it, so I was able to clamber over rocks and use my hiking poles.

Now that I'm back, I'll have to wait for the MRI to see how bad things really are.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Your fortunate you did not hit your head it could have turned out
alot worse.
Going over tricky terrain with inadequate foot wear, and being
exhausted doesnt make for a good combination.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on High Route: North Glacier Pass to Twin Lakes

Post by Shhsgirl »

Bob,

Thank you so much for the Google Earth images. I've printed and will carry them for our upcoming trip.