Sierra Facebook groups

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Facebook groups

Post by rlown »

I'm unclear from C9's posts on his goal. Does he expect HST to change to his whims? We are who we are. If you don't get instant feedback, is that wrong? We all have lives other than staring at a screen and flipping a thumb or two.
Personally I do not use Fakebook or Instacramp. My background was in part cyber security and I don't like what I see on those platforms.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

C9 - I just noticed that your profile says "level 1 hiker". Are you serious? From your posts it seems like you are at least a level 3. Level 1 is basically a "newbie" to backpacking. I also realized my profile is not very informative :o !! It appears that I did not fill in the box for experience when I first registered-- just changed it to level 4.

This forum has a lot of hard-core soloists. Because we have been backpacking for sometimes decades, those that prefer company go with long-time friends, spouses or relatives.

You gave examples of finding backcountry skiing partners on Facebook. This activity is usually done outside of the trail quota dates, with self-registration. Unfortunately, for summer backpacking, if one reserves a permit, it is usually done far in advance, with set dates and is hard to add people. If using the "first come" system, going solo gives one a better chance. All these hurdles are not very conducive to spur of the moment trips with a group.

Anyway, although you may have to find partners on Facebook groups, I hope you continue to contribute to this forum.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

rlown wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:15 pm I'm unclear from C9's posts on his goal.
1) If anyone had actually useful social media resources to share. I suppose it doesn't have to be FB, could be Reddit, Meetup, or whatever.

2) Maybe get people thinking about being a bit more community oriented. I, personally, find myself with more hikes I want to do than I have willing partners to share the driving & safety responsibility with. So I end up hiking mellower stuff where I know I can solo without issue.

3) Compared to other communities (skiing, climbing, ect.) I was kinda surprised by how crappy the community is for hiking. Figured I'd start a thread to discuss it. But apparently you're all misanthropic curmudgeons, so there you have it. ;)

And finally, it's really short sighted to say "I don't want to spend a week in the backcountry with a stranger". If you're saying that, you clearly haven't had to meet anyone new in a long time. You start off by meeting up at a trail work volunteer day, or hiking a 1 hour day hike on the Nifty Ninety list you're both working on, or sharing a 3 hour drive from Tracy to Tuolumne Meadows (hey, you get gas $ out of the deal). Baby steps.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I'm going waterfowl hunting this coming weekend. Wanna go as a non-hunter? You can meet my new dog Simba. It'll be his first trip.
All you need is waders and warm clothes. One night sleeping in the old Dodge (Friday night) and then get signed in at 4:20am. Shooting starts at 6:28am. It is a mile hike to the blind I want. Then, depending on the birds, we sit and wait and talk. Taking a friend of a friend whom I have hunted with before. It is nice to make personal connections.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I went on a few weekend trips in the Trinity Alps with a few people that I met leading day hikes on Meetup. Those day hikes gave me an opportunity to judge whether or not I would want to spend a weekend hiking with someone and gave them an opportunity to decide if they would want to do the same with me. I would rather go backpacking solo than with someone that I had never hiked with before.

With regards to Facebook hiking groups in general, they are pretty much worthless IMO. I was a member of three groups and recently dropped one. I'll stay a member of the JMT and Trinity Alps WIlderness groups for snow pack/trail conditions. The large group that I left was repetitive name calling and bashing about various LNT subjects and posting of the occasional fabulous pic and lots of why would you post that pics.

HST on the other hand has lots of solid content and, as far as I can tell, no trolls. It's refreshing. I always recommend it to people who have questions about hiking in the Sierra.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am misanthropic curmudgeon
I am guilty as charged, your honor.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman