Stacking Rocks

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stacking Rocks

Post by BrianF »

I'll join the ranks of haters also. Its just another form of graffiti (ego gratification). Leave no trace please. So far as ducks, I'll leave them where they mark a viable route or the descent chute, but when they are placed indiscriminately in open terrain or, the all too common, adjacent to a trail (?) they get scattered.
When I hiked the John Muir trail in the 70s we didn't pile rocks; every rest stop we'd find three nice ones and taught ourselves to juggle
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stacking Rocks

Post by rlown »

Even Simba couldn't believe the stacking of rocks below high water line at Loon Lk on his first backpacking trip.
P9120888.JPG
No, I didn't stack them. I think fisherpeople stack them to remember a spot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.