Ladies! Here is some news for you.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ladies! Here is some news for you.

Post by dave54 »

Step it up, ladies. We need more women to take outdoor jobs. Items like this should be so commonplace they are no longer newsworthy.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/us_world_new ... fb469.html

Of course, Chief Ranger at Yellowstone is more desk job than a field job. Probably don't get out of the office much.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Ladies! Here is some news for you.

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Fairness and equality is good news for everyone, not just "ladies". All qualified park employees should have a chance at leadership positions. I would hardly say that a park superintendent is a "desk job". It is a leadership role; very different. Although all of us who use wilderness worship field personnel and would like to see more, management makes a big difference in park policy.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Apparently the news has ignored quite a number of women who've been in place for years... Plenty of us in the national forests and parks already. I'm a trail crew leader, we report to a female supervisor at the forest service who reports to a female supervisor, we have a female FS trail crew leader, a female volunteer liaison... think it's the other way around. No one pays attention. All women trail crews exist too -- one of them cleared the trail in Tehipite a couple of years ago.

Sorry, but I'm paying attention already, and don't see there's as much of a deficit as you think.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Seems to me the chief ranger at Grand Canyon is also a woman...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

And the tone of that article is pretty condescending, too. I think the journalist just woke up yesterday.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

AlmostThere wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:45 am And the tone of that article is pretty condescending, too. I think the journalist just woke up yesterday.
To be fair, it's still 1990 in Wyoming. They just recently got cell phones :-D
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.