4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

Post by commonloon »

Scott - Awesome photos! Fun climbing with you. You and Henry were machines!

Fellow searchers - It was really great to meet everyone.

Jason - great to meet you and thanks for coming out.

Maverick - Thanks for putting this together.

Bear - Get some rest you deserve it!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

A few snapshots.
Ritter, Banner, and Ediza from a bit west of Volcanic Pass
DSC03848r.jpg
The group as of Sunday Morning (missing Scott and Jason who left earlier). Back row from right: Dave, Lisa, Jim, Matt, Maverick, Clark, Bill, Paul. Front row: Ian, Bear, Henry, Jeremy.
DSC03852r.jpg
View of Clyde Minaret from our camp at Saturday's sunset
DSC03861r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

@srb Thank you so much for the photo albums. After viewing them, I don't think I'll be having a bowel movement for awhile.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
henryfk
Topix Novice

Post by henryfk »

Great report and photos Scott.
And to all, a fun rewarding trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So, so many highlights from this trip, but hearing Tiffany’s appreciation of all of your efforts in this search, and that she was not aware of the note left by her Dad in the register, was the cherry on top!
Thank you again, to all 12 of you, and Bear, for the joy you have brought the Greene Family, thru your participation and efforts! :clapper :clapper
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cmnatwick16
Topix Newbie

Post by cmnatwick16 »

Hi Maverick & Matthew Greene search group,

Thank you for a very memorable backpacking/climbing trip. Here's my photo album of the trip. I hope you enjoy them. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts and looking at the photos. let me know if you have any trouble opening my link to the photo album.
https://1drv.ms/a/s!AhDydjsGilmggpo_LsiFW2aqZbcYsA

-Clark
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Questions asked during the search:

Did Matthew carry camera? Yes, red colored, brand unknown.

Did he sign registers? Almost always signed logs at trail heads and summit registers. https://www.summitpost.org/users/mattgreene/40605
This really makes Matthews signature missing from Clyde's register even more of a mystery.

Does he climb the same climbs? Generally not.

Did Matthew post to forums? http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/mattgr ... opics.html Also posted on Mountain Project, Supertopo and rockclimbing.com
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Some of us were speculating on the minaret mine. After a bit of searching I found that the primary mineral found there was lead with also some zinc, copper, and silver. Not tungsten as at Strawberry and Pine Creek. There's a bit more info at https://www.nps.gov/depo/learn/historyc ... places.htm and https://www.mindat.org/loc-81708.html .
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

That's interesting. Thanks for digging it up Dave. It seems it was a fairly short lived endeavor and fairly obvious that silver, although present, was not the mineral of interest. I wonder if the Great Depression had a role in it's inability to sustain a worthwhile profit?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I've spent some time trying to sort out my feelings regarding this trip. I've been to all of the searches with high hopes of finding something that would give some closure to the Greene family and the community who loved him. By the end of this trip, I felt utterly useless. I know that the point of the trip for us non-peak baggers was to cover the outliers off the beaten path, but as the search went on, I just felt like I was spinning my wheels on fruitless ground.

The fact that several of the climbing community joined us and nailed so many registers in the area, made the endeavor so important in my eyes and I can't thank you enough. Climbers and backpackers tend to hang out in different circles, but we do share a similar passion and that is what brings us together. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with each and every one of you and listening to your stories of the day's events and your past.

To those forum members who came to search for the first time, I very much enjoyed meeting and getting to know you [especially bear (avoid Mav when he's standing)]. It was very special to me. I have met many forum members over the years and I consider you special people to me. To those on this forum who have been there before, you are friends and I love you all.

I came to this search with a heavy heart. We talk of community. I was in the dive community for a few decades and it is no different than the hiking, backpacking, mountain climbing community (ies). We share a passion that brings us together in a common love. Over Labor day, when Conception caught fire killing almost everyone aboard, I was devastated. I dove and divemastered on Conception and her sister ships, Truth and Vision for a couple of decades. My first reaction was shock because of my intimate relationship with the boat(s) and the community. Then, I realized that there was a very good possibility that one or more of my old friends may have been aboard. There was some discussion of the incident during our search trip and I found it very difficult to keep it together. Maybe this is part of why I felt so useless. I don't know, but I felt emotionally drained from the start.

I hope @narkj (s) article is picked up for publication and that it gives some understanding why a bunch of people who live 3,000 miles from their home would put so much effort to help a community find some answers about their missing loved one. A person nobody knows, but care deeply, none the less.