Rae Lakes Weather?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jahneee
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Rae Lakes Weather?

Post by jahneee »

Heading out next Thursday (September 19) for 3 nights. Is there a trusted weather source you guys use for this area and other Sierra backcountry locations? Thanks!
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Rae Lakes Weather?

Post by TurboHike »

CalTopo has a 24hr and 48hr forecast. You can overlay the NWS forecast grid on the Caltopo map. For example, today the 24 hr forecast is zero precip, high of 51*F, and low of 29*F at Rae Lakes. Have a nice trip!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

You can just click the map here. I find the temps tend to trend a little cooler.

Or just use the rule of 4-5 degrees F per 1000 feet of elevation change. That'll get you in the ballpark.

I ran the loop on this past Saturday in a t-shirt, never used my jacket. At 5:30 AM at Road's End was about 55 degrees. So at Rae Lakes at 10K feet, you'd be about ~30F.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am You can just click the map here. I find the temps tend to trend a little cooler.
That's what I use. Here's Glen Pass: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 1971982756

There's also https://www.mountain-forecast.com/ . But when I've tried it, their forecasts have been way off (predicting too cold, much colder than forecast.gov or reality).