Milestone Basin Backpack Trip, Finally Posting :)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Milestone Basin Backpack Trip, Finally Posting :)

Post by madeintahoe »

Holy Cow! I am finally getting the rest of my pictures posted here! :eek: I had posted on the peaks page our day hike from our base camp in Milestone Basin to the peak quite some time ago. So here are the rest of my pictures that include our backpacking trip into Milestone Basin.

Milestone Basin & the Upper Kern Basin have been on my to do list for many long years. In 2001 I got sneak quick look at the Upper Kern Basin on a day hike we did from our base camp near Tyndall creek...I knew Milestone Basin was very close, but we did not have time to go in there..so I just got a look at the Upper Kern Basin. I knew I had to come back again to explore the area more. Well, six years later I finally got myself back to the area. Very happy to have with me Kerstin & Sally on this adventure...myself being the oldest & Kerstin the youngest..Sally in between our ages. This was my second time hauling a pack up Shepherd Pass..again it was hotter than heck :eek: and a long tiring day to Anvil Camp at least for me.

Day One...Up to Anvil Camp, not to many people there, hardly any mosquitoes, homemade tuna noodle casserole for supper and cheesecake brownies for dessert!

Day two....Hiked from Anvil Camp up to the pass, down to Tyndall Creek and up and down and up again to Lower Milestone Basin..this was about 11 miles...we got rained on this day, saw a beautiful Buck. Kerstin what did we have for supper this night? I can't remember :retard: :retard:

Day Three...This was our free day, Sally day hiked up to the Upper Kern Basin, Kerstin & I hung out at camp...took a bath, explored a little & just relaxed. Got pretty heavy rains that lasted about two hours, cleared up and was nice and sunny again. Had a great supper of Thai sesame noodles with chicken & fresh zucchini :nod:

Day Four..Was our Milestone Mountain day hike/climb...posted on the peaks page. The best day of the trip for me. Kerstins garlic with butter mashed potatoes for supper...very very filling

Day Five...We had to leave this beautiful basin and start our trek back towards Shepherd Pass...just before the Milestone Basin sign post Sally wanted to hike up to Lake South America and do the loop trail that takes you back down to the Kern River cut off trail and we would later meet up someplace either on the Tyndall Plateau on the way to the pass or at Anvil Camp. Kerstin and I went the same way back..I really wanted to see my special place again too. Once back on the trail we saw the naked man right next to the trail. :eek: HA!! Kerstin and I had a great hike out of there, stopping several times for pictures & a long time at my special place which I could have stayed there forever. We meant back up with Sally on the start going back up the pass..she too had a great hike & also saw the naked man :lol:

Kerstin found us a great last night's campsite up on a nice shelf above Anvil Camp, very quite and secluded... flat noodles with Thai noodles mixed with two different sauces and teriyaki tuna for our last supper, ginger cookies for dessert!

Day Six..The HOT hike back out..it really was not as bad as I thought it would be. We stopped at the stream that comes down off of Mount Keith, got our last water, and cooled off. Had a snack/lunch at the saddle, then headed down..it seems like it took forever to get down this section to the 1st water crossing coming back down. My poor feets felt like they were on fire..so I stopped and soaked my feet and splashed around in the water to cool off. Got back to the TH in the desert..it was nice to see my car..we had put up those old fashioned window blinds on the one side in both windows..that really helped keep the car cool. Drove into town and got ice cream sandwiches, then to Whoa Nellie for supper. Got back to Tahoe around 9:30 to my hubby and my two doggies. :) It was an awesome trip with two great people to share it with..the views you get looking at the Great Western Divide & Kings Kern Divide are breathtaking..can't describe what a sight it is!
My picture album is here for those that would like to see
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560413594vNXwza
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

What an enjoyable trip Anita. It must have been great with your friends.

No fresh caught tuna for the casserole? Brownies for dessert, that's not right! I'm stuck with a piece of dried papaya on my trips. :retard:
Piece of cake.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Awesome! It brought back a lot of memories viewing your photos. I remember walking by your "special place" pond... that's a gorgeous area! I love Milestone Basin... it was my first true High Sierra adventure and will always remain special to me.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I enjoyed reading your report Anita. Sounds like you all had a great time..... and ate very well! ;) Thanks for sharing the report and pictures!
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Very nice TR Anita. It sounds like you had a lovely time enjoying the gifts of the sierra. The emphasis on the nightly dinner was a yummy twist. Thanx for sharing.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thanks so much everyone! So sorry I am so late getting back here. :eek: :eek: Duane your dried papaya sounds great...But yeah I guess not like brownies :D

Hi Buck...Yes that special place is really something..I have it so in my head I can just dream about it and how tranquil and gorgeous it is...Yeah Milestone Basin is very special to me too! You need to go back there one day.... take your wife and son. :) How is he doing? and How old is he now? Thanks Buck!

Rosabella....Thank you..Wish I could have meant you at the topix trip...next year :D

Thanks Robin..It was a great trip....you need to go there someday..very beautiful hike in and out :)

Kerstin....Pictures pictures..I want to see your pictures :crybaby: :D