Conditions Request: BlackCap/Goddard/Goddard Creek Canyon

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
nhrpolitic13
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Conditions Request: BlackCap/Goddard/Goddard Creek Canyon

Post by nhrpolitic13 »

I'm planning a 6-7 day trip next week (Sept. 1) departing Maxon Meadows headed to Blackcap, then to Goddard Canyon/Mt. Goddard via Confusion pass/lake, over Reinstein pass into Goddard Creek Canyon/Blue Creek Canyon/Tunemah, then out of Goddard Creek Canyon back into Blackcap via Cathedral Pass and home either via Wishon or Maxon (depending on whether we get around to shuttle-dropping a car or are operating off one car).

Any update on recent conditions re skeeters and passes in any of those areas would be much appreciated. I'm also still debating whether my UL quilt (rated to 40 degrees, but usually serves me pretty well a bit below that) plus long johns and a liner would suffice at night in a good bivy, or if I should just drag the extra pound and take my full bag -- so if anyone has commentary on recent night time temps at elevation (particularly in Blackcap/Goddard, that'd also be welcome.

Much appreciated!
hikerguy
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions Request: BlackCap/Goddard/Goddard Creek Canyon

Post by hikerguy »

I was in that area at the end of July - so I am sure conditions are more favorable now with additional snow melt. I went in on the Maxson trail from Courtright Reservoir, over Hell for Sure Pass, south up Goddard Canyon almost to Martha Lake. From there I went west up and over the ridge into Blackcap Basin - the route I took was a little south of Confusion Pass and Confusion Lake, but very close to them - see the photos below. There was snow along the top of the ridge - but I had no problems finding a route over the ridge.
Confusion Pass.PNG
Ridge.jpg
I did go to Blackcap Pass also - the approach from the east was no problem, but the west side of the pass was snow-covered and looked very sketchy (again - this was a month ago). I ended up going north on the ridge with Blackcap pass until I cleared the snow and then heading down (west) to Guest Lake. The upper parts of the descent were very steep and sandy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.