Trekking Poles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trekking Poles

Post by Gazelle »

WD I have the notch li, I really like it! I use the BD alpine flz poles with it, took a little thought to make it so I can set it up with rocks when stakes dont go in the ground but all good now!
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

then there is this but it will be a wait https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-dan-dur ... iscussions.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I now have a second pair of Kompderdell Carbon Vario 4's. The aspects that are important to me are light weight, a three-part section, height adjustability for trail adjustment downhill and uphill, extension to 140cm + for my tarp, and and aluminum bottom sections. That last part would be important for many on this site who go off-trail. Carbon is great but does not perform well when taxed sideways. The aluminum at the bottom section handles the frequent stress encountered off-trail when the pole drops into a deep spot. Nevertheless, I broke one last summer during a fall. Black Diamond offers some interesting options that come close. If you can live with all-carbon and a longer, single-extendable, Z-packs has an interesting option for $99.
Shiker
Topix Novice

Post by Shiker »

How are those carbon fiber poles available from Costco. I see on the Costco web site you can get a 2-pack for $70. 16 oz a pair. Brand is Cascade Mountain Tech.

Are these any good? Or just cheap junk?

I have poles for myself, but need some for my kids...
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Some hikers like the lightweight simplicity and low cost of fixed-length poles. However, for growing kids you might want variable length poles.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nick a carbon fiber pole and you'll regret it.. Go Black Diamond Aluminum.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

In recent years I have bought several pairs of these trekking poles from Costco for myself and my family. They work well.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

Another vote for the Costco set...had them out on several multi-day adventures and no issues. CF, light weight, three sections, and good handles for $30/pair.

The flip-lock system they use is the obvious weak point, but so far so good...and I always have an extra length of duct tape on board for emergency repair.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I have used the Costco $30 poles for years. The flip-lock works great for me, because you can adjust the tension.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I bought the Black Diamond aluminum flip locks, women's, with rubber grips. Not the lightest but sturdy. Only problem is that the locks tent to slip if not adjusted often. I probably am not tightening them enough at home at the beginning of a trip. I also find that when the pole is submerged in a creek crossing, they will slip, but if I then dry off the sections they hold. I am now using a trekking pole supported tent so I have to adjust each morning and evening.

Does anyone know of a light weight Philips screw tip. It would be nice to have such tool with me. I was thinking of something like a tip welded to a wing-nut. Or is there already a special tool one can buy specifically for this purpose. I do not carry any multi-tool with me (never will because they are too heavy).