Alltime Favorite Short Sierra Video

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Alltime Favorite Short Sierra Video

Post by Harlen »

Let me see if I can share this short, sweet video. It starts kind of slow, but if you stick with it, you'll see some pretty bold hiking. The guy is a friendly, ego-free character. We corresponded a bit, and he had also soloed the ridge of Matthes Crest, and some others. He is obviously fearless on heights, and a humble guy too.

I must've watched this 20 times by now; I chose to see it again this morning because I was put off by some overblown, egocentric vids from the Tetons. I felt I had to watch this again to be re-inspired. The exposure along the East Ridge of Russell puts your heart in your throat, even just watching it. Here it is below I hope:

https://youtu.be/FZYuPMe0oAM

Scrambling the amazing East Ridge of Mt Russel, Sierra Nevada.wmv
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Alltime Favorite Short Sierra Video

Post by austex »

Whoa!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

That is both amazing and terrifying!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Whoa! ... amazing and terrifying!
austex and balzaccom, you guys have it covered.

I enjoy vicariously moving at his pace. Isn't it gripping to see, and almost feel his trepidation at times- especially at 2:36, and for the next tense seconds, when he decides to go ahead and no-hands it over a knife-edge?

I would love to see a video of him cruising over Matthes Crest, that's one I'd like to do too, but sloooowly.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Harlen wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:01 pm
I would love to see a video of him cruising over Matthes Crest, that's one I'd like to do too, but sloooowly.
Here it is:
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Robow, Thanks for that connection. I'm not sure if I viewed it 5 years ago when I found the first one- how did you come across Per's ridge climbs?
Hey Per, me and my friends really enjoyed this! Have you considered other summit ridges? The Palisade Traverse? Matthes Crest? Clyde Mineret? ... kudos to you, and thanks a lot. *Please don't stick your neck out for anyone's pleasure but your own.
I added that last thought to him at the end of my comment- it seemed important to provide a tempered response, as I've heard that more than a few adventurous people have perished trying to film themselves living on the edge.

Per's response to another person's comment was interesting:
I highly recommend it though (meaning the east ridge traverse). You can have as much exposure as you like by picking different paths on the ridge. I´m sure you could do it in boots and a heavy pack if you choose a slightly different line. You definitely don´t need a rope or gear, regardless of climbing level. Very solid rock and lots of fun!
He's right, but why take a heavy pack to the summit? We left packs on Russell Pass, climbed Russell, and then headed down to Wallace Lakes.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Harlen, I watched the first video you linked, than clicked on his username in YouTube and his other videos came up.