Quick Cook Pasta

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Quick Cook Pasta

Post by OutdoorRandy »

Barilla used to make a quick-cook pasta. It was dry and did not require draining. It worked well at high elevations. Checking their web site it seems that they no longer offer it. They have a Ready Pasta product but that is heavy and requires a microwave. Does anyone know of a similar quick-cook product?

Thank you
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Quick Cook Pasta

Post by rlown »

How quick do you want the pasta to cook?
Do you want it pre-cooked (heavy)

I use al dente pasta company (a 12oz package) dried Spinach fettuccine (3 minute cook.) It is bulky, but that 12 oz last me at least 3 days. I've done vermicelli and it cooks fast as well.
OutdoorRandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by OutdoorRandy »

I’d like a similar cook time to Pasta Roni. I don’t want precooked as it’s too heavy.

I’m thinking of just taking the noodles only from Pasta Roni. I have some good dehydrated sauce I want to use with them.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

You might try Israeli Couscous (sometimes called Pearl Couscous). It is larger than "normal" couscous, so it is more like tiny pasta balls (that's what I call it for my kids). I cook it freezer bag style, boiling water, let sit 5 - 10 minutes, ready to eat. I make a tomato sauce with tomato powder, dehydrated tomatoes, dehydrated vegetable soup mix and dehydrated peppers (all from Harmony House) and then add a little olive oil when I add the boiling water. Tastes great.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just use Angel Hair pasta, bring the water to boil, add the pasta, turn off and cover, and in a few minutes it's ready to eat.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Hi OutdoorRandy,
If my dish doesn't need wheat pasta, I use rice noodles (like for ramen). My fave is "Simply Asia" brand Thai Kitchen. Spring onion flavor. I've added the spice mix to my marinara or pesto, it didn't hurt. The noodles cook in a cup of boiling water, in a zip lock in 1 minute.
-mort
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

You can cook pasta at home to almost doneness, then dehydrate it, then you rehydrate on the trail by soaking in boiling water for 10 minutes or so.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

10 minutes isn't quick given all the other prep you put in on your pasta before you even left your house.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Get the tiniest pasta bits that you can find. For example, my local grocery has little stars, alphabet, and cut angel hair. They all cook in a few mins at sea level.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

If you can find it, edamame pasta is very high in protein, and cooks in about 4 min.
I like its flavor.