Conditions request:Creek Crossings Green Creek Basin and Virginia Lakes trail

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Conditions request:Creek Crossings Green Creek Basin and Virginia Lakes trail

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
I am planing to pack in from Green Creek trail, maybe stay at West Lake or East Lake the first night. Then we were going to base camp at Summit Lake and day hike one day down Virginia Lakes trail and one day hike down and up Virginia Canyon. I am really looking forward to the flowers!
Any advice about the multiple creek crossings. We are not thrill seekers and I will not cross fast moving water or if it is so deep, I cannot see the bottom. I am hoping that the melt is past us and the creeks are pretty tame by now, but would love to hear everyone else's opinion.
While I am asking, anyone have mosquito info on the area?
Thanks!!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions request:Creek Crossings Green Creek Basin and Virginia Lakes trail

Post by Gazelle »

Was there august 2nd didn’t get my feet wet anywhere. Mosquitos were fine but was only dayhiking.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Re: Conditions request:Creek Crossings Green Creek Basin and Virginia Lakes trail

Wow Gazelle, thanks so much. Were you day hiking Virginia Lakes or Green Creek. If Green Creek, were you at East Lake?
Thanks so very much!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 pm Wow Gazelle, thanks so much. Were you day hiking Virginia Lakes or Green Creek. If Green Creek, were you at East Lake?
Thanks so very much!
Green Creek. Bob's posted photos here, no trip report yet.

In general, it's August. Unless you're crossing a river or crossing the shady part of a high pass (steep snow), just send it. Unless you've got kids or old folks going with you.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Thanks so much!
That's waht I figured, but with such a high snow year, thought it safest to check.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

c9h13no3 You pictures are wonderful. Thanks so much for the link!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 pm c9h13no3 You pictures are wonderful. Thanks so much for the link!
They're not mine :P

Bob Burd hosts a challenge every year, where he day hikes 10 mountains in 10 days. He's a legendary hiker in California, and he's responsible for putting a lot of information about CA hiking & mountains up on the internet. That's his website, and Gazelle participated in that challenge (which is how I roughly knew where she went).

Even if you're not peak bagging like he is, his trip reports have a lot of good information about creek crossings, bushwhacking, trail head road conditions, ect.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.