Strange red lights in Ediza

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Strange red lights in Ediza

Post by sparky »

A friend just exited the backcountry and asked me about some strange red lights he saw. I will copy/paste the texts.

"Thx. Haha, I was totally sober. At first I though it was someone shooting the stars at the foot of the lake with a red light/headlamp. Then they started moving all over the place, thier movements looked like fish. Definitely the weirdest **** I've seen in the backcountry. I couldn't move my camera to capture them because I was working on a blend/stack of multiple shots.

They would light up at the foot of the lake and zoom/zig zag towards me, then flicker out and do it all over again. Sometimes 1, sometimes up to 3. So bizzare

No sound either"

Me: Have no idea what it could be....were the lights under water?

"It was really hard to tell, no moon just starlight. For the most part they looked like they were on or under the water, but I did see a reflection of the light on the surface a couple of times, so who knows. I talked to another group that was camped that saw them too, but they went to bed before they started shooting around the lake. I watched then for like an hour"

Any ideas what this could be? Aliens? Bigfoot playing tricks? Trout with headlamps? I have spent many a night at many a lake in the high sierra and have never seen red lights swimming in the water
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Strange red lights in Ediza

Post by balzaccom »

Campers with a laser pointer?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:41 am Campers with a laser pointer?
Campers with laser pointers? Unlikely. Aliens with laser pointers? Now were talking
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It took a lot of time and money to fit those trout with headlamps. Helps them avoid gill-nets.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

rlown wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 am It took a lot of time and money to fit those trout with headlamps. Helps them avoid gill-nets.
It took a team of scientists to get the chin strap just right
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Bigfoot helped by fitting the trout with the headlamps, btw.. He only eats 1/5th of the trout he fits.