Big Whitney Meadow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
backpacker92108
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Big Whitney Meadow

Post by backpacker92108 »

Water concerns.

I will be doing a loop backpack in mid-September beginning at Cottonwood Lakes.

My loop will include Cottonwood Lakes, New Army Pass, Soldier Lakes, Miter Basin, Siberian Pass, Big Whitney Meadow, Rocky Basin Lakes, Stokes Stringer, Chicken Spring Lake, Cottonwood Pass, and Horseshoe Meadow.

Does anyone know if there is water at Big Whitney Meadow? It has been such a dry year, I am concerned about that spot in particular as I will need water at that point. Is it reliable even in extremely dry years, this year in particular?

Any suggestions about camping spots or other information is always appreciated as well.

Thanks.
John
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

John...Have you checked to see if any of the rangers know about the water at Big Whitney Meadows? Sounds like a nice trip..The Miter Basin is gorgeous & has wonderful camping..Rock Creek is a beautiful creek.
Sorry I am not help on the water situation at the meadow.
Have a wonderful trip!