another shoulder of woe!

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: another shoulder of woe!

Post by oldranger »

Good to go to alaska. Should be good to go for chuck and duck fishing for sockeye. I can reel just fine when there is no tension on the line but wondering what will happen when I actually have a fish on.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

We'll just call you lefty. :)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Oh dear. I'm very sorry to hear about this. Best wishes for fast healing.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The "day dreaming on the trail..." how did that cause your injury? Are you saying you were not paying attention and fell? Good luck healing up.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

SSSdave wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 pm The "day dreaming on the trail..." how did that cause your injury? Are you saying you were not paying attention and fell? Good luck healing up.
yes. Actually I wasn't paying attention and going too fast for my diminished abilities due to lack of coordination due to 3 damaged locations on my spinal cord. Unfortunately the onset of the damage was so slow and painless that by the time it was treated it was irreversible but hopefully stalled. Clearly my days of negotiating extensive talus fields and rock hoping when fishing are past. But I Will do my best to resume backpacking next year and day hiking in later this summer.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by happycamper0313 »

Oh man that looks awful! Did you slip on some loose gravel? Loose gravel has been the cause of all slips and trips on trail for me, especially on downhill.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

oldranger:
I can reel just fine when there is no tension on the line but wondering what will happen when I actually have a fish on.
rlown:
How are you going to cast with that injury?
And how are you going to shove the bears out of the way to get to your fishing spot?
(We remember your photos from the last trip.)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Mike.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Around Naknek Lake and Brooks Falls, if you get a fish on, then that is good. However, if a bear approaches when you have that fish on, you are required to cut the line and move out of the way. How do you do that with a weak arm?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

bobby49 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:36 pm Around Naknek Lake and Brooks Falls, if you get a fish on, then that is good. However, if a bear approaches when you have that fish on, you are required to cut the line and move out of the way. How do you do that with a weak arm?
Not an issue this year but last year I broke off when a bear shoed up by pointing the rod directly at the fish, tightly palming my fly reel and jerking straight back and snapping the line. Could have done the same this year.

Also intentionally broke off a couple times last year when a large fish went out to the middle of the river and decided to head back to Bristol Bay. ...this year they seemed determined to continue upstream even when hooked.
Mike

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

oldranger wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:07 pm when a large fish went out to the middle of the river and decided to head back to Bristol Bay.
That's a tough commute.