Earthquakes

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Earthquakes

Post by robow8 »

I don't know who lives on the Eastside, and around Ridgecrest, but I hope you are all safe with this latest quake activity.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Earthquakes

Post by dave54 »

I am at the other end of the state by Lassen. Didn't feel a thing. My brother is in San Bernardino, he reports he barely felt it, no damage.

Lassen is still quiet. No unusual activity.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Felt it just above Sonora @ 2700'
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just read in today's paper that authorities suggest you stay out of Kern Canyon (I assume they mean the lower section). Evidently there was rockfall there due to the bigger recent quake. Likely to be a lot of aftershocks.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I was at Dingleberry lake and didn't feel a thing. My kids, however, felt both the 6.4 and 7.1 in Torrance. I'm amazed that @dave54 's brother didn't feel anything in San Berdu.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Jimr wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 pm I was at Dingleberry lake and didn't feel a thing. My kids, however, felt both the 6.4 and 7.1 in Torrance. I'm amazed that @dave54 's brother didn't feel anything in San Berdu.
I live in Fontana, which is almost next door to San Berdoo. I was in the shower for the 6.4 and didn't feel it, but I definitely felt the 7.1.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I slept through the Feb 9th Sylmar quake in '71. All I remember is looking up and seeing my Tonka Truck hanging half way off of the shelf above my bed ready to drop on my head. I haven't had anything above my bed ever since. I remember after my shower that morning. My bedroom was the garage converted into a bedroom. It had a small heater and I used to get out of the shower and wrap my towel around me and the heater to warm up after getting out of a hot shower and entering a cold room. I remember standing there and feeling the first aftershocks from the initial quake.

I"m very familiar with Fontana. I've passed through many times going to Big Bear and hiking the San Bernardino Mtns.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I felt both quakes in Santa Barbara. The pool was really sloshing on the 7.1er and continued to slosh for along time, I had never seen that before and it made me feel very trivial in the grand scheme of nature.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Aftershocks of the magnitude 7.1 earthquake near Ridgecrest have been creeping into areas close to two major earthquake faults, a development that is generating interest and some concern among seismologists over whether it could trigger another huge temblor.
Ridgecrest earthquake aftershocks move toward dangerous faults, sparking concerns of triggered temblors
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The Earth moves, weather changes. You could move to Nebraska and hope a tornado doesn't hit you or hail storms don't take out your crops.
I'm not seeing the issue. Earth does what she wants to.