another backpack repair question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hawkfeather
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

another backpack repair question

Post by hawkfeather »

My ULA P-2 pack, which I've had for several years and have hauled all over, has acquired some small holes in the bottom of the packbag. Not quite sure what snagged it (they mostly appear to be in a straight line), but now I want to repair it before they get worse--and before we go out again later this month. ULA is "closed until December", so I can't go there for advice.

The very teensy holes may be ok with a bit of seam sealer on both sides, but there's a bigger one about 1/8" that will need more. I'm leery of just slapping on a piece of nylon tape; in my experience, the edges lift up under pressure. Tape and fabric glue underneath? I will appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Obviously, I need to be more careful--it is a light pack after all. But, BTW, I've been extremely pleased with it; it's the most comfortable pack I've ever carried.
SynergyBlue
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SynergyBlue »

I would say just patch it up. You can get different types of patches at stores. You can stitch it up or get a heavy duty glue like crazy glue. Those are possibly the cheap ways of doing it haha. Especially if its your fave bag.
hawkfeather
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by hawkfeather »

Thank you, SynergyBlue, for the moral support! I ended up sticking some nylon patches on the inside and putting something called Fray Check (available at fabric stores) on the outside. It dries invisible and keeps fabric from, well, fraying further. We did a short backpack in Lassen, and so far everything seems fine.