Cathedral Range area ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
zwoij
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Cathedral Range area ideas

Post by zwoij »

I was planning to hike the High Sierra Trail with my 15 year old son starting next Tuesday. The primary objective was actually an off trail lake in the middle of the route. Due to trail, snow, and creek conditions I'm thinking of exploring in Yosemite instead and saving the HST off trail hike for another year. My experience in Yosemite is limited to day trips, so your insight is appreciated. My thought is that in staying mostly in the 9000-10,000 ft range we will get wet feet but not face anything we are uncomfortable with. We have 7 days, starting July 16. Priorities include fishing, off-trail exploration, and epic destinations. We do not want difficult or dangerous snow travel requiring crampons or ice axe, but can borrow microspikes and will have trekking poles. We would rather not risk our lives crossing raging creeks, but expect to get wet.

Any suggestions? My ideas so far include Ten Lakes, May Lake, Cathedral Range (which seems to have good off trail exploration options). We do want to make our way to Half Dome, which will fulfill the epic destination checklist instead of Mt Whitney this year. Possible starting places are Yosemite Valley, Lukens Lake, and the Tuolumne Meadows area.

Thanks!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Cathedral Range area ideas

Post by balzaccom »

My guess is that anything over about 9000-9500 feet will still have some snow. Are you comfortable with that?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963