Marmots in Mineral King

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Marmots in Mineral King

Post by mountaineer »

I haven't been there in a few years, but plan on going out of Mineral King in June. Should I worry about marmots? I heard they eat brake lines, etc? Is there any secrets to protecting your car? Myabe a clandestine salt lick nearby?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

You can use a tarp: http://community.webshots.com/photo/791 ... 4494TvDzqX

or wire:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/791 ... 4538aaBowA

I use moth balls, ammonia, and pop the hood to let light in (marmots like dark areas). They didn't bother my 4Runner.

Some friends wrapped a tarp around their 4Runner and the marmots still chewed something (forget what it was) that cost $500.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Snow Nymph wrote:You can use a tarp: http://community.webshots.com/photo/791 ... 4494TvDzqX
I've never seen a wrap job with a tarp like that! That's a darned clever idea! :p What size tarp is being used for that pickup? I wonder if anyone's ever used those under-carriage lighting kits up at MK? I'd be curious to know if that keeps them away or attracts them!
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

The Rangers say it's a seasonal thing that passes around mid summer...but late spring/early summer watch out!

Haven't really heard about brake lines...but they love fan belts and radiator hoses and the anti-freeze/coolant that's toxic to dogs and cats doesn't seem to bother them marmots at all.

We used a combination of moth balls and the big blue tarp.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

The Marmots seem to be worse at the Sawtooth trailhead. They were eating hoses and belts as far back as 1978, my first summer in the valley. Apparently, this is the only area marmotia do this, at least according to NPS rangers in 1978. Silver City store used to sell emergency fan belts. I don't know if they still do. Of course, a fan belt won't get you too far if your wiring and hoses are chewed up. The marmotia (plural, slang), never bothered our cars across the bridge, and down by the cabin. There are stories of folks arriving in SoCal, with a marmot under the hood. Way back when, mothballs were the first line of defense. I have a comment in Summit Post.com, under "SierraBonehead". I believe it's under the Sawtooth Peak info. On a side note, around 1986-7, I was working in Faculty Flat, re leveling some cabins. Nothing like being under a cabin, with 2 feet of crawl space, and have a marmot pop up staring you right in the face 6" away! "Run Away! Run Away!"
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Looks like a wanted poster Shaun. A cute one though. Was that pic taken in MK? The rock looks like MK rock.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey, sharp eye. Indeed the little guy watched me as I walked up the trail to Sawtooth. Seems like I always see them in the same location.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

We have a roll of chicken wire we take....didn't take it last year tho for some stupid reason. Darn buggers chewed the asbestos like liner from the hood of my car, 50% of it completely gone!!!!! Won't go again without the chicken wire!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

ndwoods, try a bag or 2 of mothballs. They'll probably still do damage.

I was thinking, for travelers to MK next summer, post your experiences, and Ranger comments on the Marmot problem in MK. Maybe we can start a poll in the spring. We might do a semi scientific study. What cha all think?