Parking at Sonora Pass with the snow?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Parking at Sonora Pass with the snow?

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,
I'm headed to Sonora Pass this weekend to bag some peaks. With all this snow, does anyone know where I can legally park my car in the area? I presume the PCT trailhead lot remains closed (does anybody know?). What about St. Mary's trailhead?
Thanks for any parking beta you can share!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Parking at Sonora Pass with the snow?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Drove by there on the first weekend of June, there are a decent number of pullouts plowed at the pass, and there's other areas along the road that have melted out a bit. Dunno if it's legal to park overnight, but a lot of backcountry skiers up there.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I was there a couple weeks ago slept in my car in a turn out by the big switchback by deadman’s creek no problem. Other areas by the summit were some areas you could park also.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for the tips @c9h13no3 and @Gazelle -- the PCT trailhead was closed, but I found plenty parking in plowed pull-out areas. It worked out great!
Last edited by Flamingo on Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I parked on the road that leads to the trailhead to take a look around but there was a reasonable amount of parking available. This was on Monday the 24th.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.