High Sierra to Bearpaw/Hamilton Lake (6/24-28)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High Sierra to Bearpaw/Hamilton Lake (6/24-28)

Post by HYKNRKS »

Having seen the trail reports on the SEKI website, got a little 4-5 night trip planned, for now. Curious if anyone has insights beyond the updates on the website?

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm

Of course, gonna check the Ranger Station resources before....just wondering
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: High Sierra to Bearpaw/Hamilton Lake (6/24-28)

Post by c9h13no3 »

Hope you like snow. They can’t get pack animals to Bearpaw so they won’t open the camp this year. So yeah, if they can’t get a pack mule to the camp, good luck getting to Hamilton Lake.

The satellite images show solid snow almost the whole way. If you’re good at the late June sun cupped snow travel, you’ll be fine.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Read that about Bearpaw...rockslide, water levels at the creeks, etc....

Also read a few groups got past Hamilton...

Hopeful, but also realistic. May head elsewhere in the park, or just walk around a bit and return home. Will know for certain on Sunday.

Thx.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah, I'm sure it's possible to get over Kaweah Gap. Just a matter of how much you enjoy snow climbs. The High Sierra trail is also pretty exposed in places, could be spicy with snow. The Watchtower trail is usually good for a fatality every couple years when it's snow covered, which is a similar trail. Had one last year in May.

So yeah, not to be taken lightly. Be prepared.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Only heading to Bearpaw....maybe, maybe Hamilton Lake....no passes, just a little jaunt. Have spikes, poles, axe...but not planning any climbs.

Also, ready to abandon if a bad position is presented.

Agree on the exposure along the trail....
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just try it and give us a trip report! With early season obstacles you just have to play it safe and be prepared and willing to retreat if needed. Do not start across something that you cannot easily turn around on. The two main problems I see are the crossing of the creek below Hamilton Lake and the "tunnel" section of the trail above Hamilton Lake. Timing helps on both of those. You will have to also wade across the outlet of Hamilton Lake. It may be deep but I do not recall it being swift. The side streams along the trail should be receding by now and only be an annoyance that have to be waded. Unless the bridge across Buck Creek is damaged. Regardless of how far you get, it should be a beautiful trip.
wbenge86
Topix Newbie

Post by wbenge86 »

On the High Sierra Trail facebook group someone recently posted a trip report heading east on the High Sierra Trail just last week. There are photos of the Hamilton Gorge chute, the break in the trail above Hamilton Lake and their attempt to make it over Kaweah Gap, as well as numerous stream crossings. From what I take it they ended up turning around due to hours of postholing trying to get over Kaweah Gap.

If you are looking to do the High Sierra Trail anytime soon I would suggest joining the group as there is a lot of info on there including videos.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I believe it. Two years ago I started on the High Sierra Trail in early July. I made it to Hamilton Lake the first day, but then I discovered the obstacles from there up to Kaweah Gap. So, I gave up and returned one month later when conditions were a little more typical. Then the whole thing worked as planned. It took me four days to get to Crabtree Camp.
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Thanks to all.

Heading out of Crescent....heading only as far as Bearpaw/Hamilton....only looking fir about 13 miles in max. Not worried about myself, rather for the othet dude going with, my pops. Not ready to lose him yet.

At this point, going to be a check and see trip...will post some deets upon return.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

On a positive note, at least there will be far less livestock and for that matter people on the HST this summer. I've had some nighmarish experiences on that trail being stuck forever behind huge pack trains with nowhere to pass.