2019 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Pine Creek 6/9

Post by GGC23 »

Route taken: Day hike up to Pine Lake from the Pine Creek Pass trailhead (Sunday, June 9)

Difficult section encountered:
2.5 miles from the trailhead, just about where the Brownstone Mine is marked on the USGS topo, the switchbacks disappear in to snow. Because these switchbacks are cut directly in to the side of a steep face, a fall here would not be good. However, there is a good boot track through this snow, and I crossed easily in microspikes and trekking poles. My dog scampered across like she was strolling down the sidewalk. After the switchbacks, you're in snow almost all the way to the lake, but it's easy walking.

Special equipment needed/used:
Trekking poles and microspikes, unless you're a 23 pound corgi, in which case you scoff at special equipment.

Possible alternative routs:
None that I know of.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

1000 Is Lake 6/8

Post by maverick »

Posted on ESHB by Yongsung Kim:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Big Meadows Closed Till 7/4

Post by maverick »

Sequoia NF:
Big Meadows remains closed due to snow, parts of Big Meadows Rd are still under 3 feet. We are keeping our fingers crossed to open the area for 4th of July weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Carson Pass / Lake Winnemucca 6/10

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP by Sarah Finck:

Snowfire
Topix Novice

Kaiser Pass to Mt. Givens 6/12

Post by Snowfire »

Soft suncups going to Mt. Givens from Kaiser Pass. Coming down on foot almost as efficient as skiing. Lake Edison nearing full. Snow level around 9,000 feet in the trees.
IMG_0677 75.jpg
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2019 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by bobby49 »

I enjoyed this photo that you shot. It displays the country that I traversed on a JMT segment in 2018.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Harrigton Pass/Peak 6/15-6/16

Post by commonloon »

I went back ;-) What a difference 2 weeks make!

Route: Deer Cove tailhead -> Harring Pass & Summit (6/15-6/16)

Special equipment needed/used:
- Ice Axe (only for a snow traverse leading to Harrington summit)
- Crampons (used in early am, microspikes would have been fine except for snow traverse)

Possible alternative routes:
- Lewis Creek trail also leads to Frypan, etc. but would involve more creek crossings.

Other:
- Bugs were present until around 9K (it had become cooler also).
- 2nd Creek leading up to Grizzly Lakes was high/fast. I used a blowdown to cross close to the "Trail" location.
IMG_9689.jpg

About the Snow:
- Patchy snow around 8600 ft, nearly 100% 9200 ft.
- The snow was consolidated with slushy 6" or so after having time in the sun. Suncups. Easy walking early.
- Lots of thicker bits of snow in the trees or up high (at or above Grizzy lakes). LOTs(!) of snow on northern aspects, e.g. the lake above the Gorge of Despair.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Muir Lake 11,100 ft

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP by Evan Thomas:

looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by looks easy from here »

maverick, what's SNCC-TPP? Google isn't giving me an answer that looks right.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sierra Nevada Current Conditions - Trails, Passes and Peaks (Facebook). :)