Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

broken bottles - yuck

well, whatever the powers that be decide is fine with me
huts

Post by huts »

No fires in the Buttermilks this year.
I hate the broken bottles too but perhaps instead of just "stepping around" them you could pick them up.I keep a pair of gloves and trash bags in my truck at all times.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

we had planned some hikes out of Independence area. Buttermilk is over an hours drive from hiking area. I would like to camp closer to Independence. since OV camp is full - maybe we can dry camp in the Mazurka Canyon area or Manzanar Reward Rd. it is much closer drive for hiking, don't have to worry about the local hooligans, and I think we can find an area where fires would be permissable, should be good area to set up tent for those who need.

Lewis has good experience in this area and can probably chime in
I am planning to do a little reconoiterring after next Saturday's hike.

have we started a head/vehicle count yet.
also anyone not good with map and/or GPS skill exact driving directions could be provided if need - please advise prior to weekend.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

If the group is camping near Onion Valley, I think I might go for Dragon. Hikes starting at Onion Valley/Independence and points north sound nice to me. Of my 8 trips to the Sierra this past spring/summer, 4 of them have been to the Lone Pine/Whitney area; so I'm kind of burnt out on that area - especially with how dry looking it is this year.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ditto the burnout on the Portals area - this is the first weekend in the last 4 that I did not hike out of the area - and the WPMB is doing a group hike out there again in 2 weeks - don't want to drive up that road any more for awhile.

if we make Dragon the day 2 hike(Sunday) - should be less people
still looking at Snow Crown for day 1 - as is not so strenuous and can probably more of a group can summit here.

as always adjustments can be made - still have 4 weeks(appr) to lock in
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

As much as I would like to do Snow Crown has anyone done Kindergarten Gully up to Peak 13,121 from the Buttermilks? Its 1.1miles south of Mt Humphreys. I am looking in "Eastern Sierra Ice" This is a real mellow ice chute to the summit of 13121 next to Checkered Demon. We can descent by way of peak 12634 back to the cars (two peaks) and camp, about 5m round trip.
The rd in from Bishop, W line st. 7.3m to the Buttermilks Rd turn right. Set odometer to zero here, at 3.6m pass peabody boulders go straight to cross a cattleguard, at 5.9m you will pass horton lakes turnoff go straight, at 7.5m cross the stream (inches of water), 8.3m to 8.65m ignore all left turns go straight ahead. Without high profile and or 4wd this may be the end, or travel to 9.8m passing aspens to a fork, go left .4m to roads end. TrailBud will have his 4wd, SN, others?
In a nutshell, 10m from Bishop, hike from camp 5m round trip, the Buttermilks, no permit needed. Not sure about fires

UTM 352837E 4124672N (peak) 355570E 4126479N (camp)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I have 4WD.

Where is Snow Crown? I've never heard of it? Do you start in Onion Valley? How tall is it?
Last edited by KathyW on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I will check out a few areas on Friday.

I counted 13 that replied so far, and a possible 3 more that are coming but have not replied yet.

I think we have five 4x4s, that I know of, and will post a list later.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
huts

Post by huts »

Hey folks, the only place you will be able to have a legal campfire is in a "developed recreation site", i.e. a campground with fire rings, picnic tables, some kind of manager etc. That has been the case since the end of June. The Angora Fire at Lake Tahoe, which burned several hundred homes, was caused by an illegal campfire. We have had more "Red Flag" warnings this summer than I have ever seen before. As I sit here right now the wind is raging and I can smell the smoke of yet another fire. Inyo County has been worse off than Mono County. We got a little more winter precip. Fires are prohibited even in the Inyo wilderness! This is not just needless governmental interference with your camping pleasure. I believe some areas received less than 30% of normal precip, there has been low humidity all summer and having to abandon my home and run from a human caused fire just a few years ago I am so thankful that this season is coming to an end. But don't listen to me, I just live here. Call the FS or check the website. Or go ahead and build your campfire and take your chances and, as some seem unable to consider, risk the homes and lives of the wildlife and the folks who live in the area and the beauty that may have brought you there to begin with. That's what some people seem to be doing, of course after they manage to blind themselves to the bright orange signs or better yet tear them down and burn them in the fire and then leave a burning campfire along with a weekend worth of garbage when they head home just to remove any doubt as to the level of their idiocy. (sorry for the tirade - I have seen too much of this kind of behavior this summer and I am sickened and sad and will be glad to see this summer end without any more large fires and to be frank about it and probably piss some people off, I am flabbergasted and discouraged that some folks who post here and clearly visit the Eastern Sierra frequently are still of the mind that they can build a campfire in a "dispersed camping area" this year)
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Ditto huts, but I also think that with most of them not living in a area like both of us, they are not aware of when conditions change. We may all have to resign ourselves to the fact for this trip that a campfire may not be possible, even if it helps a great deal setting the tone.
On my vacation a month ago, while staying at Lower Paradise Valley, some young bpers still had a fire going in the middle of the day and failed to pour water on it before leaving. I had to pack some water up from the river and put it out.
Piece of cake.