Backpack to Courtright?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BESON
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Backpack to Courtright?

Post by BESON »

I was thinking about hiking to Courtright via the road (the road is still closed as far as I know) and camping near the lake for a night or two. Does anyone know whether walking the road and camping near the lake would be permitted and if so whether a wilderness permit would be required? I was in the area last week and didn't see signage indicating it'd be closed entirely to people or whether permits would be required. I couldn't seem to find anything helpful via the sierra national forest webpage and thought I'd inquire here.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Re: Backpack to Courtright?

Post by c9h13no3 »

It's on NF land, so no camping permit required. Maybe drop by the Prather station and let them know, but shouldn't be an issue.

Let us know how the road looks, with pics ;)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

That's not a short hike, but I bet you'll have the lake to yourself....sounds fun.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

All you would need is a campfire permit, as you would not be in the wilderness. I believe they are not plowing, just waiting for the melt; but there would be work going on to clear downed trees and so on, so you should check with the NF as to whether they would object, and you should expect truck and heavy equipment traffic.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We've backpacked to other areas in different NF forests as you describe without any issues. But check with the office. Sometimes they close areas for reasons that go beyond snow--wildlife protection, etc--so make sure that's not the case.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I would question whether the power company would take exception. They've been back there, have a snow cat for that purpose, and would be concerned about their facilities. If you'll run into anyone it will be PG&E
BESON
Topix Acquainted

Post by BESON »

I checked with the ranger station in Prather on the way just to be sure and they said it was no problem to hike up and camp near the lake without a permit so long as I didn't enter any wilderness areas, which was no problem. The road seemed to have been plowed up until Short Hair Creek, at which point patchy snow ensued all the way to the lake. That said, it did appear that some work clearing trees had already begun as there were no down trees blocking the road all the way to the lake. However, there were some significant stretches of the road where there was complete snow coverage up to four or so feet extending for a few hundred hundreds at times. Across the dam was clear until Maxon trailhead, though the trail itself was still under quite a bit of snow and there was a very large tree down across the road just before the parking lot. The road on the other side of the lake was still buried in considerable snow, at times seeming a solid 5-6 feet deep.

The turn out for Laconte Divide overlook ... gives a sense of some of the snow coverage on the road
P6121115 (1).jpg
Near the fork just as you get to the lake
P6121121 (1).jpg

Over the lake
P6121135 (1).jpg

Looking out below the dam
P6121128 (1).jpg
Apparently the bears are out ...
P6131139 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for your report.