Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
foodwaterattention
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Introductions

Post by foodwaterattention »

Hey everyone. Long time/first time. For a few years I've passed through HST in search of beta and can't believe I've never registered.
I've been exploring the Sierra for eight years and, after relocating from Southern to Northern California, am getting to know more of it than ever.
My website foodwaterattention.com is dedicated to adventure in California.

Excited to be a part of this community of fellow Sierra fans.

Best, Ted
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by maverick »

Hi Ted,
Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Been a minute or so since my last visit...forgot which email I used, and passwords etc....but still got my plate and name...HYKNRKS, along with a tattered Got Mountains sticker.

Looking forward to getting out again this summer for summer break...yeah, I teach middle school. Do not get confused, summertime is better when ur a teacher.

BTW, my old GOT MOUNTAINS sticker is faded, running, and in dire need of replacing.

Gonna get some friends and family into the Sierra this summer....will prove challenging with the winter we have had.

Happy Trails yo.
HYKNRKS
Feraleyes
Topix Novice

Post by Feraleyes »

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on here for several years and finally decided to make an account. Ive been backpacking and hiking for as long as I can remember, but since moving to South Lake Tahoe a couple years back have been fortunate enough to spend pretty much all of my free time exploring the Sierra. I’m steadily working my way through the SPS and OGUL lists, so I’m looking for future partners on those endeavors. I have lots of trips planned for this summer and fall in the Eastern Sierra, so I’ll be sure to reach out on here! Fiancé and I are doing the JMT nbd in September for our honeymoon as well, so a busy season coming up. Hope everyone is well, and thanks for all the beta over the years, I’ve truly appreciated it!

-Lawrence
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Hi HYKNRKS and Feraleyes.

HYKNRKS, you are lucky you have summers off. Lots of backpacking!

Feraleyes, living in South Lake Tahoe is hiking paradise. The JMT for a honeymoon - wish my wife and I could have done that!
HYKNRKS
Topix Novice

Post by HYKNRKS »

Price ya pay for teaching other people's kids.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Feraleyes wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:00 pm Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on here for several years and finally decided to make an account. Ive been backpacking and hiking for as long as I can remember, but since moving to South Lake Tahoe a couple years back have been fortunate enough to spend pretty much all of my free time exploring the Sierra. I’m steadily working my way through the SPS and OGUL lists, so I’m looking for future partners on those endeavors. I have lots of trips planned for this summer and fall in the Eastern Sierra, so I’ll be sure to reach out on here! Fiancé and I are doing the JMT nbd in September for our honeymoon as well, so a busy season coming up. Hope everyone is well, and thanks for all the beta over the years, I’ve truly appreciated it!

-Lawrence
HEY LAWRENCE! thanks for tattooing a bat on my sternum last month. cool to see you here! :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
lairdbaird
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by lairdbaird »

Hello,
Have lurked for a few years, and want to thank everyone for such a great resource. I am mostly a fly fisherman and spend my summers backpacking as much as i can, mostly on the east side of the sierra. Have learned quite a bit from this site and very much appreciate folks sharing their knowledge and experience, will try to contribute if theres anything i can chime in on.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Lairbaird,

Welcome to HST! 😀
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Hi All,

I've been a daily reader of HST since 2016, and I've decided to be active on the site. I spent the 1990s (my 20s) in San Diego, where I met people that were kind enough to reveal to me the treasure that is the Sierra Nevada. However, it wasn't until I moved to Boulder, CO, in 2000 that I realized how much I loved the High Sierra. Ironically, I have since done more backpacking in the Sierra than I have in my neighboring range or elsewhere in CO. Why do I prefer the Sierra? The roadless area is far more expansive, the juxtaposition to the desert is stunning, and the weather is more reliably placid - though that expectation was seriously blown up during my hike last July in the monsoons that so many on HST have documented.

Like many of you, I enjoy crosscountry travel in the Sierra, and HST has been invaluable in that regard. I also find respite in the trail system, where I can take a mental and physical break from the challenges of navigation.

Unlike many of you, I don't fish, but a few friends want to take me out this season, so I'm going to give it a try. My wife actually gave me a fly rod about 10 yrs ago, thinking I'd get into it, but I have yet to take the rod out of its case.

I look forward to contributing my thoughts and questions as well as trip reports, though the latter will be challenged by my lack of camera (I'm still rocking a flip phone and have no plan to advance my tech any further).