Help! I'm snowed out!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
filmforever
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Help! I'm snowed out!

Post by filmforever »

Planned ages ago before the big snows on a 5-7 day trip June 29-July 5th but now the snow is too gnarly everywhere. Was hoping for off trail granite and fishing. Any suggestions? (besides changing plans for another month)

First choice was for High Yosemite loop from Twin lakes-Spiller Canyon-Matterhorn Canyon-Doe Lake-Rock Island Lake: Cancelling permit due to snow
Second choice: Desolation Wilderness from Twin Bridges/Horsetail Falls up to Ropi Lake and Lake Aloha: Cancelling permit due to snow
Third Choice: Little Kern river from Jerkey Meadow-down to Kern River-upriver to Nine Mile Creek-downriver to Forks of Kern. Cancelling as river flow probably still too fast for good fishing
Fourth Choice: Cherry Creek in Emigrant Wilderness-to Hyatt Lake and Big Lake and back. Good fishing at Big Lake but maybe too dangerous to cross Cherry Creek and still too much snow/wet on slick granite
Fifth Choice: Trinity Alps Canyon Creek area. Never been but some ok fishing they say but also super crowded on holidays

What's my sixth choice?
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Help! I'm snowed out!

Post by rlown »

September.

I'm going to Loon lake mid June. Not dropping over to Desolation wilderness. It's a dog test trip.
If you fish, the lakes will be mostly frozen now. Ranger said that would probably be okay for the time frame.
Cherry Creek would be a bad idea.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Plenty of threads with responses already by others with similar questions. Kibbie and Vernon will have melted out without stream crossing issues while Laurel depends on Frog Creek. Otherwise keep looking at the EOSDIS Worldview satellite images, then make a short notice decision.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I've got permits for the Cottonwood Lakes on July 1. I assume Lakes 3, 4, and 5 may still have ice, maybe even 1 and 2. Going to be an interesting season.

John
filmforever
Topix Novice

Post by filmforever »

thanks for the info. Have to make a last minute decision. Will be more melting in the next month of course, leading to more open trails and more high water. Also planning for late summer. Just need to retire already so there's more time!
filmforever
Topix Novice

Post by filmforever »

Figured it out! Got solid plans now that will work with snow levels as they melt. See if the mosquitoes have same plans as me
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Hey filmforever,

I'm glad you found something thats going to work out for you. What did you guys decide on?

Also, what's the elevation and terrain like for those routes you mentioned above in your first post? Specifically your first and second choices...
filmforever
Topix Novice

Post by filmforever »

Temperatures are heating up so lots if snow will be melting. Keeping my eye on trips already planned but now looking at lower elevation loop in trinity alps.

Dustybottoms 21: elevations for first trip are up to 10.5-11k, high sierra granite mixed with river valleys. Second trip also highsierra granite but less up and down. Morel like straight up to 8000’ then rambling around lakes and creeks.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Melt baby melt!!!

Our trip is Jun 20th-23rd. Plan A is Rowell Meadow TH in SEKI and heading towards Skillman Pass for either a loop through Jeannie Wilderness or an out and back short of Skillman. Elevation ranging from 8500-10500 with no creek crossing worries that I'm aware of.

Plan B is Crabtree TH in Emigrant and doing a 25-30 mile loop heading east. Elevation ranging from 7000-9000. I hear there are some pretty brutal crossings so Im not sure this one will work either.