Emergency Whistles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Emergency Whistles

Post by oldranger »

1. As per my first post I would not carry a bear banger in the sierra.

2. Just mentioned it for those interested in a signaling device.

3. As for irony what about the legality of carrying a firearm in a NP (with proper concealed carry permit) but bear spray is illegal?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

LMBSGV wrote:
Maybe you should carry a PLB and a satellite phone too.
I always appreciate sarcastic responses. Actually, I do carry a satellite phone when I am solo backpacking. Since I am 64 years old with a medical condition, my wife likes me to have the phone.
I'm glad you took it that way.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably carry that stuff too.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I am underwhelmed with the performance of a whistle as an attention getting device. On a recent trek my partner went ahead to scout for the trail we had lost and I told him I would blow the whistle if I rediscovered the trail in his absence, which I did, but he never heard it. I think a smart phone blaring rock music would have been better. The whistle is loud but has a high frequency wave length so the sound waves do not travel very far and are easily absorbed. Music has a wide variety of frequencies and can be left on as long as the battery allows. If you are injured and in shock, it may not even be possible to blow a whistle. My wife has an electronic noise producer on her key chain, even that would be better.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I had a whistle, but it is pretty poor, so gave it to the grandkids. I have never tried a good quality one, such as those used by professional referees at sports games. I think those do carry quite far.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Older men with hearing loss can't hear shrill pitches. Heck, I can't hear the oven timer go off anymore, or my wife when talking without saying what?. (years of hunting ducks and early life lawn mowing i guess.)

I've tried walkie-talkies, but what works the best for me is that your party has two inreach devices and can text.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 am Older men with hearing loss can't hear shrill pitches. Heck, I can't hear the oven timer go off anymore, or my wife when talking without saying what?. (years of hunting ducks and early life lawn mowing i guess.)

I've tried walkie-talkies, but what works the best for me is that your party has two inreach devices and can text.
The next step is that your vision will start to go.

I was lucky that I was born with exceptional hearing for sensitivity and frequency range, and that showed in the audiology test on me when I entered the Army. Then later after Army rifle range, the frequency range dropped off some, although it is still far better than average. For vision, I figure that I can always get a seeing eye dog.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

What is funny is that I can still hear, but I did buy some Walker game ear plugs to keep what is left.
I do like telling my wife "What?" and waiting for a re annunciation. My dog and I don't need to talk. We just look at each other and know what is going on. I've been wearing glasses since the 3rd grade and always carry spares. Other things probably go before that.

As for whistles, Had one, but line of sight is better.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Does a harmonica count?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.