Pine Creek Trail to Royce Lake 11656 and Royce Peak (13280+)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks everyone for taking a look at my pictures - I love sharing them.

dpmach: This is how you get to the trailhead:

Go north of the town of Bishop on US 395 10 miles to Pine Creek Road, turn west and drive past Rovana approx. 10 miles to the Pine Creek Pass Trailhead at a signed area next to Pine Creek.

There is a pack station at the trailhead.

If it is a warm day, start early because the first couple miles of the hike can be very sunny and hot. There is plenty of water along the trail, so that is not an issue.

I think that it went down into the 30's at night, but not below freezing (unless you count windchill).

SSSdave - Yes, I was on my way to Agassiz when we met in August of 2004. You were coming out with all your camera gear when I met you near Bishop Pass. I don't blame you for not wanting to head in when it's hazy - not a good situation for picture taking. Yes, I also do the tissue in the ear thing when I don't have ear plugs. I don't sleep well above 11,000 feet; so it probably wasn't only the wind that was the problem. I have spent the last week in Colorado hiking and exploring and even after a week spent mostly at higher elevations (between 7,800' and 14,300') I still didn't sleep last night at 11,300'. The nights I slept below 10,400' I did sleep pretty well.
dpmach
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by dpmach »

Kathw. thanks for the info on how to get there on the 395. I had also wanted to ask if you have gotten your permit(s) prior to the trip or at the ranger station near the trail?
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

dpmach: I picked up a permit on my way up on Friday afternoon in Lone Pine, but you can get one at any of the Inyo National Forest Ranger Stations. I did not reserve it in advance because Pine Creek isn't usually real popular. Now that high season is over, it should be even easier to get a walk-in permit without reserving in advance. If you want to reserve a permit so that you can pick it up at night in the outside box then you have to call at least two days in advance.

More info on permits:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation ... owto.shtml