What Are Your Memorial Day Plans?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
foodwaterattention
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

What Are Your Memorial Day Plans?

Post by foodwaterattention »

Mine were a trip into the Trinity Alps but rain and snowpack are putting that adventure on ice. In its stead we'll be fishing and camping in the Sierra foothills.

For years, for my wife and I, Memorial Day weekend meant a drive up 395 to one of countless adventure zones along the Eastern Sierra. So it was a treat to come across this 1986 tourism video highlighting the region so close to the holiday weekend. If you're still in need of some inspiration, give this film a view!

http://www.foodwaterattention.com/feed/ ... morial-day
Last edited by foodwaterattention on Fri May 24, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What Are Your Memorial Day Plans?

Post by rlown »

I'm gonna sit right here at home and watch the next wet storm roll through.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Being retired, holidays are what I AVOID when backpacking! I will stay home, get the soil ready in my garden, yard work, and finish washing the outside of the house (ugh!), and do 5-mile walks with the dog along the American River. Hopefully starting mid-next week I will do a 6-day trip in Yosemite; am considering a masochistic trip into Edith Lake. Before these last storms it was actually mostly snow-free. Otherwise standard stuff out of Yosemite Valley.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah the weather sucks most places in the state. So I'm dead-heading flowers in my garden, doing training runs at Henry Coe & Mt Tam, and eating lazy brunch with the lady of the house.

Trying to get a crew to ski Lassen or Shasta next weekend.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I did decide that after my Jury duty 6/10 and Mom's cancer surgery 6/11 (if that goes well), I'll take Simba up to Loon Lk for his "break in" trip.
Still a lot of snow up there according to the ranger, but all I had to get was a campfire permit as I'm not dropping over into Desolation wilderness.
I get to see how said dog reacts to life out there, a short hike and a camp on the SE side of Loon lk.
I get to fish, and he gets to romp. Wonder what he'll do if I get a fish.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well its Saturday 3pm and I'm here at home in the South Bay done with chores and tasks. Early this morning drove down to a venue box office for a concert ticket next week. Heck every day I wake up is another Saturday. After all my desert bloom work in the southland have been pecking away at processing images and coding html for my website chronicles page that is now 3 months out of date. But have been lazy of late not making much progress as I instead have fun roaming my urban world. Am wondering if I'm going to be motivated enough to actually do any backpacking in June.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Working around the house, couple of hikes up the Butte. Rainy weekend in Central Oregon. Noticed a few RVs calling it quits and returning home this AM. Going fishing Tuesday after what remains of the hordes of holiday campers and anglers return home.

Most importantly reflect on the sacrifices young men and women have given in the service of our country. Also reflect on whether many of those sacrifices were really necessary or beneficial to the US or any other country.
Dad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My great uncle Terry had the same bad memories when he came back. Couldn't watch 'Hogan's Heroes' for a long time.
He was a WWII vet as well. You have a better display than I have. Uncle Terry was the ranking officer when they took a town and captured the flag. Yes, it's a Nazi flag with writing inside the chemistry box the flag is stored in. It's in my memento trunk. I also have some of his pins and medals.

Thank you all for your service.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

First - Thank you all for your service.

On another note, as I said here somewhere, many months earlier, it always snows in the Sierra on Memorial Day.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Mammoth Mountain web cams are pretty wild right now. Especially the summit.