Trekking Poles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Trekking Poles

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I need trekking poles (broke my new ones last year (carbon not aluminum) and got a full refund from REI). This year's sale, the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles are on sale. They also have the "unisex" model and the "woman's". The main difference is shorter overall pole for woman's (good for me), and what they call woman's specific grips. But no measurements offered. I assume this means the cork grips are smaller. My hands are not exceptionally small, but my old Black Diamond poles do not work for me because the grips are really large.

They get good reviews, BUT this is a closeout. Black Diamond will no longer make them. Does this mean replacement parts will be hard to get? They have a carbide tip that is supposedly designed to break off (to save the pole) if the pole gets stuck in a rock. I assume this means that replacing a tip would be quite common.

Should I buy these?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trekking Poles

Post by rlown »

Even if it is a clearance item, you could call the local REI's in your area and see if they have any in stock so you could handle the poles before you buy.

You could also buy replacement parts up front for the tips, the clamp locks, or whatever you think might break.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I called Black Diamond and asked about the "closeout". They said it just was closeout of the 2018 model and the newer 2019 model changes were just cosmetic- color; otherwise the same trekking pole. After careful inspection, for $30 less the regular "trail" series pole was identical except for slant-vs straight grip and the cork outer-lining. I tried out both at REI and decided that the "egro" feature was not worth the extra to me, since I never had trouble with the regular grip design. I chose the woman's version because the grip fit better and it still would extend enough to use if I decided to go to a trekking pole supported Tarptent (which I am seriously considering).

Another bit of information from the very helpful person at Black Diamond, was that all replaceable parts on the "trail" series of poles are interchangeable so I did not have to worry about fixing a broken pole in the future even if the particular model was "closeout".
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have black diamond poles as well, and even with the slant, I used them to support the tarptent at upper deso lk. I carry mini bungie cords, and it worked just fine to keep the cork in the tent hole. I didn't go with the poles that have that spring in them. I like a firm response when I need it.

Note the length of your trekking poles relative to what you need to put up the tarptent.
Last edited by rlown on Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

rlown wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm I like a firm response when I need it.
My girlfriend said the same thing the other night. So, I obliged.

John
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A weird response.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

rlown wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 pm A weird response.
Lighten up, little buddy. It's just a joke.

John
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

FWIW, Have two pair BD poles - the Ergo corks (cork grips and a canted grip), and the BD Trails (black plastic grips, straight handles, and a slightly smaller diameter grip).
Not withstanding your hand size, I prefer the corks, un-skocked.
Additionally, being a bit of a off-trail klutz, have been known to break poles. Tried the CF model first and broke/snapped off the bottom section...returned them too. Also have bent the Ergo's too - bottom section again... no problem replacing the broken sections through the BD repair site. Other than cosmetics, they fit right in.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

rlown, which Tarptent did you use? I am looking at the Notch (sil-nylon, not the dynema). But also considering the Pro-Trail.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I use the double rainbow.