Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

Post by rlown »

Hi Russ,
The road to North Lake is graded dirt, steep and narrow, not generally recommended for trailers. If you are comfortable with getting your teardrop up and down the road you can use the fishing parking lot near the pack station. This is a dirt lot so you should be able to find some double parking slots. There are no bear lockers at this dirt lot.

South Lake is a paved parking lot, where you would have to be in the lines. There is curbside parking about a mile down the road, near Parchers resort. There is also a hiking trail from Parchers (start near the small store) to the South Lake hiker parking lot, so you don’t have to walk on the road.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Cindy
I asked about North Lake, South Lake.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

rlown wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 pm You can follow up..
Thanks for that! So basically, if I treat it like a car and fit it in a designated spot or along the road where it's allowed, remove scented items and put them in a bear locker (as I'd do for my car), then we're good to go. I don't have a specific plan right now, was just thinking about this in general. When I know details of certain trips, I'll call or write about specific trailheads!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

maiathebee wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:53 pm it's got a dometic fridge, 2 burner propane, sink with 9 gal fresh and 9 gal grey tanks, solar to charge the battery for lights + fridge, a propane heater for chilly nights
Maia, it's supr cute for sure! On a safety note, just in case you haven't considered it yet, you might want to get a battery-powered camper carbon monoxide detector. Most important if you plan to use the propane heater.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Is the Dometic fridge a 2 way or 3 way (110/propane/DC) ?
My Lance camper's Dometic frdge eats up DC power like you can't believe in that mode. Works best on 110 and I use propane as a backup.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

TurboHike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 pm
maiathebee wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:53 pm it's got a dometic fridge, 2 burner propane, sink with 9 gal fresh and 9 gal grey tanks, solar to charge the battery for lights + fridge, a propane heater for chilly nights
Maia, it's supr cute for sure! On a safety note, just in case you haven't considered it yet, you might want to get a battery-powered camper carbon monoxide detector. Most important if you plan to use the propane heater.
I have one :) thanks!
rlown wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:42 pm Is the Dometic fridge a 2 way or 3 way (110/propane/DC) ?
My Lance camper's Dometic frdge eats up DC power like you can't believe in that mode. Works best on 110 and I use propane as a backup.
It's 2-way. I haven't noticed major power drain on 12v yet, but i'll keep an eye on it! I doubt I'll be using 110 hardly ever since I almost never camp places with hookups. I have 130 watts of solar and on the two trips (8 days total) I've made so far, solar has been plenty to recharge any power I'm using.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love