Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

Post by maiathebee »

Hey buddies!

I went and bought myself a teardrop trailer. I'm a trailer n00b and don't know what the conventions are with respect to parking at trailheads. My trailer is small enough to fit in a car parking spot and I'm wondering what people's general opinion is for leaving a trailer overnight for a few nights at a trailhead. I have pretty hefty security for the trailer, so I'm not worried about theft, but... is this allowed? Frowned upon? Would you be mad if you couldn't find a spot at a popular trailhead and you saw a little camper trailer taking up one of the spots?

And also, ain't she cute?

ImageAlabama Hills by Maia Averett, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have seen trailers (mostly horse trailers) at the North Lake parking lot. They seem to be parked at the far end. I think if the trailhead has a horse unloading space, or is relatively large, there would be no problem. If your car + trailer fits in a parking space, then OK. You could unhitch the trailer then park the car slightly off center in front of it, saving a foot or so of space. That is what we do with our trailer when a campsite space is just a bit to short. I suppose each trailhead is different. Since Emigrant Wilderness has a lot of horse use, I doubt any of their trailhead parking would a problem. However, I suspect the South Lake parking lot may frown upon this since it is already a very crowded trailhead and has a lot of day use too. You probably will have to ask when you get a permit or call the FS or NPS about their regulations. I have never seen a trailer parked at trailhead parking in Yosemite Valley.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

She IS cute. Great photo.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've seen trailers at the stables in Yose where you head out to Glen Aulin.
As you mentioned security, do you leave food inside when you go, because those windows break easy, especially that one at the top front.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

rlown wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:52 pm As you mentioned security, do you leave food inside when you go, because those windows break easy, especially that one at the top front.
I wouldn't leave food inside, just as I wouldn't leave food in my car. The windows are safety glass, the same as cars. No more risk than a bear braking your front windshield--which I admit is nonzero!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

remember when bears in Yose learned that if you jump on top of a VW bug, its side windows would explode? :)

That top window on your teardrop would be a fun play for a bear.. Safety glass just means that it breaks into squares when busted.
Windshields usually have 3 layers. Not sure what your upper window has.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I'd call the FS about it. Are those solar panels on the roof? I also see a small front tire, so I assume the tongue weight is manageable for maneuvering by hand (on a flat surface) which can help you economize space when parking. Very nice little trailer. Give us some more details, I see a propane tank as well.

John
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

Yeah, more deets, please. Looks like a sweet setup. Other pics?
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

rlown wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:21 pm remember when bears in Yose learned that if you jump on top of a VW bug, its side windows would explode? :)
lol nope, i don't remember. vw bugs went out of production before i was born \:D/
rlown wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:21 pm That top window on your teardrop would be a fun play for a bear.. Safety glass just means that it breaks into squares when busted.
Windshields usually have 3 layers. Not sure what your upper window has.
i'm sure a bear could bust into it if it wanted to. i'm also sure a bear could bust into my car if it wanted to. i'll just take the same precautions with the trailer.
gregodorizzi wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:11 pm Yeah, more deets, please. Looks like a sweet setup. Other pics?
it's a Vistabule, #251 off the production line. 1220 lb dry weight, 1500 lbs or so loaded. it's got a dometic fridge, 2 burner propane, sink with 9 gal fresh and 9 gal grey tanks, solar to charge the battery for lights + fridge, a propane heater for chilly nights, max air fan and vents and operable windows for when it's warm, 10lb propane tank on the tongue. the bed inside converts to a couch and there's a table too. and yeah, i can maneuver it alone on flat asphalt, it's harder and i need a friend to help if it's dirt. you can see lots of photos over at the manufacturer's website: https://vistabule.com/ but hhere are some more photos of mine!

ImageAlabama Hills by Maia Averett, on Flickr

ImageAntelope Valley poppy bloom by Maia Averett, on Flickr

ImageBenton Hot Springs by Maia Averett, on Flickr
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

There are 6 people that I pack with as a group on a regular basis. One of the guys has a sweet little utility trailer withe heavy constructed metal box and duel locking lid. Many times the 6 of us would all ride together in my 3 seat Toyota Sequoia on trips. We could throw all 6 packs and gear plus anything else we wanted to take along just because we could. You have probably seen some like it used by the forest service, coffin shaped. Anyhow we never had a problem or heard any complaints. We would either find a parking place out of the way or at least unobtrusive as possible. At trailheads with no roadside parking near the trailhead we would pull it in by hand tongue first and chain it to a tree instead of the truck.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray