1970's Mt. Whitney Documentary

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
foodwaterattention
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

1970's Mt. Whitney Documentary

Post by foodwaterattention »

Hi everyone,

My wife works for a program through the California State Library and this week she shared with me this incredible documentary on overcrowding on Mt. Whitney. I'm sure many of us know a thing or two about that. It's a fascinating glimpse into the culture of California adventure in the 1970’s and the way we interact with nature and each other.

Hope you enjoy!!

http://www.foodwaterattention.com/feed/ ... d-mountain
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 1970's Mt. Whitney Documentary

Post by Gazelle »

that was great thank you
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Same issues, way more people. History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Timberline
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Timberline »

Thanks for posting this glimpse into something special. Climbing Mt. Whitney is still special in my memory. My brother and I reached the peak from the East side (Crabtree Meadow) on July 4, 1972. There were probably 200 people on the peak that day & I don't know how many camped below at Trail Camp. We descended same day directly to Whitney Portal because of the crowds. Even being acclimated more than most of the climbers, it was an exhausting day, but worth it.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
foodwaterattention
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by foodwaterattention »

Thanks for sharing Timberline. Glad you liked the film.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I found the old film to be interesting, and it brought back fond memories. I started dayhiking Whitney back then in the 1970s, so there were a few special scenes that I barely remembered. Back when I started, they had the limit of 75 overnight backpackers, but there was no limit on dayhikers as long as you had a DIY permit. This summer should be summit #43 for me.

Now that you've all done the math, I will add that I must have been a tiny child back then.