How to do Yosemite in May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: How to do Yosemite in May

Post by Dave_Ayers »

As of May 7th the snow level climbing up from Tunnel View began at ~6500 feet at the Artist Creek Crossing. And camping is allowed before Stanford Pt, see the Yosemite Trailheads map (https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf) where the red arrowhead ends a bit after the trail takes the eastward turn. This 5/7/19 picture is looking at Stanford Pt and Silver Strand Falls from Old Inspiration Pt. Snow can be seen on the Stanford Pt outcropping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dki
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dki »

Any thoughts on Westfall Meadows? I was thinking of starting at the Westfall Meadows TH and heading either towards the Bridalveil Creek trail and checking out Ostrander Lake if the trail is clear (watching snow reports and it might be by the time of my trip from 6/24-6/27) then heading back to Bridalveil Creek TH and figuring out what to do next.

Or, and perhaps this is more like a mid-season Yosemite question depending on snowfall, going further south and then back up on what seems to be the Buena Vista trail (? don't have my trail maps on me at work -- attached a map) that loops around through Mono Meadow and back at Glacier Point Road. [will figure out transportation later, likely there will be 2 cars]

Planned dates for trip 6/24 - 6/27

Curious as I have never been hiking in this area
Yosemite GP road.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

dki wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:41 pm Any thoughts on Westfall Meadows? I was thinking of starting at the Westfall Meadows TH and heading either towards the Bridalveil Creek trail and checking out Ostrander Lake if the trail is clear (watching snow reports and it might be by the time of my trip from 6/24-6/27) then heading back to Bridalveil Creek TH and figuring out what to do next.

Or, and perhaps this is more like a mid-season Yosemite question depending on snowfall, going further south and then back up on what seems to be the Buena Vista trail (? don't have my trail maps on me at work -- attached a map) that loops around through Mono Meadow and back at Glacier Point Road. [will figure out transportation later, likely there will be 2 cars]

Planned dates for trip 6/24 - 6/27

Curious as I have never been hiking in this area
Sometimes I end up on that trail in spring -- the creek crossings can be gnarly. Especially Chilnualna Creek.
dki
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dki »

Thanks for the heads up AlmostThere!
Izzie Werner
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by Izzie Werner »

You can begin your Yosemite vacation at the iconic Tunnel View lookout point, which offers a spectacular view of El Capitan, Half Dome, and Bridal Veil Falls.