Kings Canyon snow sneak peak trailhead question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kings Canyon snow sneak peak trailhead question

Post by commonloon »

I was thinking about taking a look at the snowline. Perhaps up to Harrington Pass. I am wondering if Deer Cove or Lewis Creek would be the better choice as far as potential stream crossings? I've been up Lewis Creek and had to take long detours to find safe crossings, but I haven't done Deer Cove. Thanks in advance!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Re: Kings Canyon snow sneak peak trailhead question

Post by limpingcrab »

Deer cove only has one real crossing and it's a creek with a low and small drainage, the rest of the trail (until it meets up with the Lewis Creek trail) is mostly along a ridge. I haven't done Deer Cove in early spring but from what I remember it didn't look like a major creek.

The creeks you cross on the Lewis Creek trail drain from alpine bowls and have more water and run longer into the summer.

Long story short, I'd say Deer Cove is a safer bet. I hope you like Mountain Misery :)

Hope that helps, I've got pictures somewhere but not on my work computer, sorry!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Re: Kings Canyon snow sneak peak trailhead question

Post by commonloon »

Thanks limpingcrab! That's what I thought after looking at the USGS. Now if the weather outlook can just improve a wee bit.