What and where is you first meal out?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What and where is you first meal out?

Post by SirBC »

Mountain Rambler Brewery in Bishop for a burger and a beer (or three).
-------------
Dave | flickr
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Now that the Chart House abandoned Mammoth, does anyone have suggestions for a post trip dinner establishment?
Preferably somewhere with a salad bar.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm
tomba wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am
fishmonger wrote:We should set up a map ...
We could use this map. I seeded it with few places.

Click "Edit", zoom in, add a placemark, and click "Save".
I'll bump this thread, and that map for the 2019 season.
Is this something that could be added to the HST map? How about a way that users could add to/edit a database instead of the mods having to put it all in manually?
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm
tomba wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am
fishmonger wrote:We should set up a map ...
We could use this map. I seeded it with few places.

Click "Edit", zoom in, add a placemark, and click "Save".
I'll bump this thread, and that map for the 2019 season.

I'm a fan of Alice's Sugar Shack on 108.
I've lived in Sonora for 6 years now and have not gone there. I usually hit Andy's Mountain Grill in Mi-Wuk.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cahiker »

Definitely agree with the Mountain Rambler Brewery in Bishop. My husband won't go anywhere else these days. Beer and food are good, friendly atmosphere and quick service.

When we spend the night, the Looney Bean down the street is a great place for coffee and a pastry in the morning (the breakfast at the Super 8 doesn't quite do it for me, although the laundry room is good and the rooms decent).

Added both to the map, along with Jolly Kone in Bridgeport (three flavors of soft serve, dipped cones, milk shakes, floats and tasty veggie burgers) and Mono Cone in Lee Vining.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I am pescetarian and when I emerge from the wilderness I look for carbs for lunch and dinner and decent coffee and smoothies in the morning.
Not sure how to add to the map.
Mammoth- Roberto's Mexican
Lee Vining- Whoa Nellie Deli
Bishop- Amigo's Mexican (way better than the others), Mountain Rambler Brewery, Black Sheep Espresso (better than Looney)
Lone Pine- Alabama Cafe, the two taco trucks
Three Rivers- River View Restaurant, Antoinettes for breakfast ***
Exeter- Wildflower Cafe breakfast and lunch
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

zacjust32 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:03 am
Is this something that could be added to the HST map? How about a way that users could add to/edit a database instead of the mods having to put it all in manually?
It used to be on the HST Map, but @copeg removed it (IIRC) to improve performance of other features.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gtw_smooth_ambler
Topix Novice

Post by gtw_smooth_ambler »

Did a high sierra training/birthday trip to Maggie Lakes this year and stopped for a meal at the Punjabi Dhaba truck stop on the south side of Bakersfield. Killer roti, muttar paneer, daal. We went before dinner time so it was all-veg service. Was nice to have a meal that wasn't a gut buster and get back on the road. No beer probably helped too. Pic below.
punjabi.JPG
On the other end of the spectrum, we also ended a forks trip earlier this year with the 40oz porterhouse at McNally's on the Mountain 99 north of kernville. That was amazing and the mudpie desert brought it all home. The very reasonable corkage prompted us to bring a magnum of rioja. No pics. I blame the magnum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
unreal_ishan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by unreal_ishan »

gtw_smooth_ambler wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 am Did a high sierra training/birthday trip to Maggie Lakes this year and stopped for a meal at the Punjabi Dhaba truck stop on the south side of Bakersfield. Killer roti, muttar paneer, daal. We went before dinner time so it was all-veg service. Was nice to have a meal that wasn't a gut buster and get back on the road. No beer probably helped too. Pic below.

punjabi.JPG

On the other end of the spectrum, we also ended a forks trip earlier this year with the 40oz porterhouse at McNally's on the Mountain 99 north of kernville. That was amazing and the mudpie desert brought it all home. The very reasonable corkage prompted us to bring a magnum of rioja. No pics. I blame the magnum.
Bakersfield native for ~2 years (born and grew up in India) and I can vouch this is THE BEST Indian food in Bakersfield!

Also, tried Giovanni's pizza after 2 days out in the Mammoth wilderness and it was amazing!
For Lone Pine, our go to is Lonchera Los Plebes (Mexican food truck near Chevron). Killer burritos!
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Lee Vining: Mono Cone (nice trashy double/triple cheeseburgers)

June Lakes: June Pie (best pizza along 395 if you like it more NY style)

Mammoth: Mammoth Tavern if in time for happy hour, The Eatery (menu rotates), Robertos (duck burrito).

Lone Pine: Taco trucks.

Bishop: Holy Smoke (sampler platter 2x tri-tip, ribs usually, beans & baked mac as sides), Mountain Rambler Brewery. Yamamoto is surprisingly good, and one year had $4 salmon collars as a special.

Best coffee is Black Velvet in Mammoth & Black Sheep in Bishop. Warming hut for breakfasts usually - good life is solid but not exceptional, the stove isn't as good as it used to be 5+ years ago - steller brew is good for lighter breakfasts or breakfast burritos to go. Breakfast in Bishop was mediocre. Normally focus more on dinners and cook breakfasts in van. I miss J's on the Corner in Bridgeport, and Feeneys & CJ's in Mammoth.

I've been wanting to try Copper Kettle in Big Pine, & Still Life Cafe in Independence, but they're always closed. :/

I'm usually craving fats and salts, so a cheeseburger or bbq hits the spot.

Sonora: Yoshuku OMFG this ramen is up there with anything in LA/SF/Vancouver. Black Garlic & Tokyo Miso are my faves.