Four Jeffery Campground Early June?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Four Jeffery Campground Early June?

Post by Tonydavid »

Hi....a group of us is planning to go to Four Jeffery Campground June 7-9. It is at 8100 feet above Bishop. I am wondering what the conditions will be like? Will there be snow, mud, mosquitoes? Any recon would be very helpful. Thanks!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Four Jeffery Campground Early June?

Post by c9h13no3 »

Tonydavid wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 am Hi....a group of us is planning to go to Four Jeffery Campground June 7-9. It is at 8100 feet above Bishop. I am wondering what the conditions will be like? Will there be snow, mud, mosquitoes? Any recon would be very helpful. Thanks!
It's currently snow free on the snow map. Might have a shot at it drying out by June, hard to say.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks for that map c9h13no3. It was encouraging as it shows Parker and Koip Peak Passes are already melting out.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

June 2017 on my Styxx Pass backpack I used that snow map and then found more snow in snow line areas near 8000 feet than had been indicated. Talk about that here:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... html#jun14

On the last cloud free EOSDIS Worldview image for May 3, 2019 one will see dimmer white on that part of the South Fork of Bishop Creek canyon indicating there is actually a mix of snow and melted out areas. Either of these poor resolution image tools need to be interpreted conservatively.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:14 am
Tonydavid wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 am Hi....a group of us is planning to go to Four Jeffery Campground June 7-9. It is at 8100 feet above Bishop. I am wondering what the conditions will be like? Will there be snow, mud, mosquitoes? Any recon would be very helpful. Thanks!
It's currently snow free on the snow map. Might have a shot at it drying out by June, hard to say.
Keep in mind that this map is modeled, not measured. It's great for getting a general idea of snow depths but keep in mind that real conditions on the ground (lol) may differ. Still I agree should be fine by June.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Inyo web site says Four Jeffery is already open.

To avoid mosquitoes, take the sites up on the hill, NOT those down on the creek.
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Tonydavid »

Thanks, folks for the helpful replies. Appreciated! We do have a stream side site reserved....maybe we should move up the hill....so we are not eaten alive!