Questions regarding my SOBO Resupply Plan for this summer 2019!!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BBart
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Questions regarding my SOBO Resupply Plan for this summer 2019!!

Post by BBart »

I’m planning on carrying 3 days of food for the Happy Isles to Tuolumne Meadows section ...then will resupply at the Tuolumne Meadows General Store for 3 days of food to carry me to Reds Meadow.

At Reds Meadow I will resupply again at their General Store for four days food supplies to carry me to VVR & then onto MTR.

At MTR I will pickup my “Resupply Bucket” which will cover me thru to Whitney & Whitney Portal.

Does that sound like a logical plan or should I throw in a Resupply Bucket at Reds? Thx!!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Questions regarding my SOBO Resupply Plan for this summer 2019!!

Post by MountainMinstrel »

there are a lot of variables here. if you could give us the info from here it would help a bunch

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

BBart - welcome!
Big advocate of taking one's time and sampling all the JMT has to offer. (Once did it in 16 days...another in 32...longer was better.)
Sounds like a good plan - hitting all the stops. (Don't forget your plastic at VVR.) Suggest though, while at Reds, (get a milkshake!) and then take a zero day and shuttle up to Mammoth Ski area ($7 round trip) and then free shuttle down to Mammoth and Von's. Cheaper than a Reds resupply.
BTW, how many days are you taking?
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

A typical plan is to go from Reds to MTR. It is from MTR to Whitney that you will be weight and bulk challenged. Some leave the trail mid-way for another resupply. Best to check out the Yahoo JMT group for this kind of info.
BBart
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by BBart »

Thanks all!! Mark the plan is to take 21 Days total. This is all really dependent on the snow levels this July-August and river water water crossings levels.

Thx again everyone for your feedback