First SEKI trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Spencerc
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: First SEKI trip

Post by Spencerc »

Thanks everyone for these suggestions, my biggest reason for doing the 2 loops was to avoid that big a food carry but if it’ll be worth it guess could make it work.

Thank you for the suggestions off off trail places to see, here in New England were trail creatures and anything off would be through thick forest so much less fun than those open Sierra vistas.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Wow, another NHer hitting the Sierra. I will be about two weeks behind you: doing a two week loop out of north lake. See you on top of Mooselauke in about a week :)
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

The hunger to "see it all" can lead to exhaustion rather than enjoyment. The fact is that you can't see it all in one trip, so why rush to divide your time between two areas? You will find the BSL segment to be awesome and amazing and tempting you to visit every lake and mountain within reach. Why rush? Just do that one loop with some of the side hikes mentioned by others above.
-Phil
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Spencerc wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:18 pm Rlown I’ll be spending the night before at sentential campground to help acclimatize
I love the Copper Creek trail. Just pointing out that at 4600 ft. Sentinel isn't at altitude, you won't acclimatize much there.
-mort
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Post by stringbop »

Roads End may seem close to Mineral King on a map, but in reality, it's a 4.5 hour drive. And that's before any delays (grabbing permit, gassing up, getting a bite to eat, bathroom break, , etc,,). That's too much time to be wasting. If you are comfortable with 15 mile days, then Big Seki Loop heading out via Colby Pass shouldn't be any problem (even with bad weather spurts). And if for whatever reason you are running behind schedule and decide to ditch Colby Pass, then you could check out Bench Lake, Sixty Lakes, Center Basin, or Lake Reflection then just cut back over Bubbs Creek to Roads End.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

maverick wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm One thing you may consider is to do this trip in reverse...
I'm inclined to agree with this bit of advice.

An additional advantage of it is that you could easily kill a few days in the Monarch Divide area if you find yourself ahead of schedule, or you could gun it out and over the pass if you need to get out quickly. I recall the area being pretty easy in terms of the cross-country travel. Glacier Lakes, Kid Lakes, and the Volcanic Lakes are just some of the areas you could hit up. I'm pretty sure Goat Mountain is a relatively easy summit as well.

If you do go up Copper, don't be surprised if you decide to call it and camp right as you crest into Granite Basin on the first day.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

mort wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:48 am
Spencerc wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:18 pm Rlown I’ll be spending the night before at sentential campground to help acclimatize
I love the Copper Creek trail. Just pointing out that at 4600 ft. Sentinel isn't at altitude, you won't acclimatize much there.
-mort
Better to stay at Princess or one of the other campgrounds at 7-8000 feet than any of the grounds at Cedar Grove/Roads End, if acclimatizing is the goal.
Spencerc
Topix Novice

Post by Spencerc »

Thanks for the tip of princess, not terribly far from roads end and will be better for acclimating!

Seems like the consensus is to stick to just the first loop and take my time exploring some off trail areas to add on time/ miles. Glad to see everyone seems to agree that is the better part compared to mineral king. Now to try to carry that many days worth of food 😫
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

My thoughts, a night at 5,000 feet is better than nothing but the top of Granite Pass is over 5,700 feet higher. While you may be planning on getting over the pass listen to your body and consider stoping earlier that day, perhaps Granite Basin if you start feeling weird. It is a hot and mostly dry hike, too. The down hill to Simpson is also hot and dry and tough on the knees. Devils Washbowl should be spectacular! Last I knew there was no longer a footbridge across Palisade Creek, that might be a challenge in this wet year. Rather than packing your gear to hit Amphitheater Lake do a day hike from Deer meadow. A fire burned the lower part of the route several years back and there are likely a lot of downed logs, reproduction, and brush making travel more difficult than in the past. My guess is that about 600 vertical feet up the side of the canyon you should be able to pick up the old miners trail again. In all I think your 9 1/2 days is just about right for this loop with 2 layover days for side trips.

Oh yeah if there is anyway you can get your permit the day before, do so and start as early as possible for that nasty hike up Copper creek.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Spencerc wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:59 pm Thanks for the tip of princess, not terribly far from roads end and will be better for acclimating!

Seems like the consensus is to stick to just the first loop and take my time exploring some off trail areas to add on time/ miles. Glad to see everyone seems to agree that is the better part compared to mineral king. Now to try to carry that many days worth of food 😫
2 things:

1) Doesn't have to be off trail. Everything Mav marked with an "E" is pretty much on the trail.
2) Off trail is really where the Sierra shines, it's one of the easiest ranges for off-trail travel in the US. Forest understory is generally minimal, there's often long stretches of smooth granite slabs to hike over. So while you don't have to venture off trail, it's probably worth giving a shot.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.