TR: Solitude in Bubbs Creek Canyon, April 26-28, 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Solitude in Bubbs Creek Canyon, April 26-28, 2019

Post by Flamingo »

I took advantage of Highway 180 opening this weekend, and enjoyed a little wilderness retreat up Bubbs Creek for two nights. Overall, the conditions were typical of spring backpacking in the Sierra: widespread flooding, numerous downed trees, and cold nights.... but no crowds, no trailhead quotas, and abundant solitude.

On Friday, I drove from Oakland to Kanawyers. I self-registered for a wilderness permit at the trailhead kiosk and parked my car in the overnight lot. Mine was the only car in the lot when I left (and when I returned), confirming my suspicion that virtually no one else was backpacking here this weekend.

My plan was to walk up Bubbs Creek until I reached snow line---which I expected would be 5 or 6 miles---and then find a campsite along the creek. This is a relatively short distance and I had all afternoon ahead of me, so I took my time with the ascent. I stopped at the Kings River bridge to enjoy the view, and then later I took an extended break to identify birdsongs. It's a new thing I'm trying to learn. This time I identified a red-breasted nuthatch, and two Cassin's vireos. Or rather, that's my best guess. I recorded a couple more birdsongs that I couldn't match, but I'll lookup later. Anyway, the point is that I had a pleasant afternoon walk with good vibes.

Downed trees were a frequent obstacle. A fallen tree blocked the first bridge over Bubbs Creek (see my photos), and another fallen tree nearly hit the second bridge. I was able to climb around the trees, but it's apparent there's much cleanup work ahead.

This should come as no surprise: there is water flowing everywhere at this time of year. One braid of Bubbs Creek has jumped its banks, causing an unexpected ford situation near the third Bubbs bridge. It was about 20' wide and knee deep. The crossing didn't feel dangerous, per se, but it was COLD.

After climbing the switchbacks, I reached snow patches around 6500'. Hiking over snow became annoying around 6800', so I turned back to the last good campsite; it's a great site that is somewhat hidden, but I'm sure other HST members will recognize it in my photos. As the day ended, the temperature rapidly dropped and I gathered wood for a fire. There was abundant fallen timber everywhere: another benefit of spring backpacking. I spent the evening simply tending the fire and stargazing.

The next morning, I decided to take a zero day in my camp. I lounged on a flat boulder in the sunshine, read a paperback novel, cooked an elaborate backcountry lunch on my stove, and napped in the afternoon. I climbed up the Avalanche Pass Trail switchbacks, at least partway, and viewed the Sphinx Creek waterfall. This was a good vantage to look across the canyon to see the burn recovery from last year's wildfire. Later, back in camp, the night seemed colder than yesterday, and I was glad to build another fire.

On Sunday morning, I did some Leave No Trace site restoration, and then I hiked back to my car before noon. Along the way, I passed many day hikers headed to Mist Falls. I could not resist a brief side trip to Zumwalt Meadow before leaving the park. Zumwalt Meadow did not disappoint!

Here are some photos. . .

VIDEO: Grizzley Falls

DSC01715.jpg
DSC01460.jpg
DSC01464 (1).jpg
DSC01473 (1).jpg
DSC01681.jpg
DSC01679.jpg

VIDEO LINK: Mini ford of Bubbs Creek side channel to reach third wooden bridge

DSC01480.jpg

VIDEO LINK: Campfire Vibes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Solitude in Bubbs Creek Canyon, April 26-28, 2019

Post by Flamingo »

More photos. . .
DSC01522.jpg
DSC01519.jpg
DSC01546.jpg

DSC01566 (1).jpg

DSC01570.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01666.jpg
DSC01712.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Great report! Looks like snow line at 6800-7000 will yield plenty of skiing :-)

Grizzly Falls is new to me too.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

Thanks for sharing this!
tarbuckle
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by tarbuckle »

Great Report!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks for posting!! Best time of year, well, and October. ;-)
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Woohoo! 2019 TR!!!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great trip and report. Thanks.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I really needed to see your trip report--just to remind me of what is around the corner. Uplifting!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Your report and photos are an inspiration since I've been considering doing a trip out of Cedar Grove after the road opens, maybe next year or the year after when my wife doesn't have a book to promote in April and May. Thanks for sharing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com