Onion Valley to Mount Gould?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TonyC
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Onion Valley to Mount Gould?

Post by TonyC »

Do people hike up Mount Gould much from Onion Valley? Is the view very good from the top of that peak?....it seems like it would have to be.

I was just curious because I hiked to Kearsarge Pass last week and was almost tempted to try to go another 1200 feet or so to the top of Gould. I was wondering if people do it often or if there is much exposure, etc....it looked like it wasn't that steep, but it was over a lot of somewhat loose rocks/scree.

I did hike up 200 feet of it just so I could be at over 12K for the first time ever. That involved some slightly loose rocks, but nothing major...does it get any worse or is it basically the same the rest of the way up? I loved the Kearsarge Pass hike, so it'd be fun to return to do that again someday and add Gould at the end if it is reasonable.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

if you still have energy I would say go for it. if you stay on ridgeline you really can't miss the peak. some people have trouble figuring out how to get up on the last block of summit. but the register box is just below that anyway. I will not jump on summit block if the wind is blowing - which it is about half the time. if you do go up you get a nice scree run back down to the trail.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Tony,
I did Gould from the pass last weekend. It was a good hike. A little loose going up. There is a false summit, but once you are there you see the actual summit. It was a bit of class 3 with nice hand and footholds.

We didn't encounter any wind. In fact we were this cell of perfect weather. We saw storms to the south (it looked like Whitney was engulfed), clouds passing by from the north and it even rained in Onion Valley (saw a rainbow over OV) while we were hiking.

Norma
TonyC
Topix Novice

Post by TonyC »

Ok, thank you all for the information...it sounds very doable and I'll have to put it on my long list of future hikes. I don't have anyexperience with Class 3, but I probably will before then or I could always just stop right below the summit block...it would be slightly frustrating, but I could deal with it.
:)